My Mother is 80 Years Old and Wants to Have a Facelift. Is She Too Elderly for Plastic Surgery?

She hasn't smoked for decades and she's not overweight or sickly, but she does have a pacemaker and takes blood pressure medication.

Facelift at 80 years of age

+2

At 80 years of age it is acceptable to undergo elective cosmetic surgery as long as one is in good health.  A pacemaker will have to be demagnetized prior to surgery since surgical electrocautery must be used during the procedure and can potentially short out the pacemaker.  Typically a cardiologist must perform the demagnetizing and remagnetizing of the pacemaker a hospital setting, which can be cost prohibitive for a patient.  In addition, the patient’s blood pressure must be under excellent control before, during, and after the procedure to prevent the occurrence of a hematoma.

Facelift at 80 with Pacemaker and HTN

+1

A facelift in an 80 year old with a pacemaker may be more risk than most plastic surgeons want to take.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Face-and-Neck-Lift.php

Elderly Facelift at Age 80

+1

In my practice in New York, I've performed facelift on patients as old as 87. This is based more on their physical age rather than their chronological age. I also make it a point to avoid performing surgery for longer than 2 hours and do the procedure under local anesthesia with 'twilight' anesthesia with the Quick Recovery Facelift procedure I developed. She should be cleared by her medical doctor as well as be able to be off any blood thinners (in my experience, many patients with pacemakers also are on aspirin daily).  Based on her medical situation, you should also be clear with the surgeon about desired results and see if the face lift procedure can be adjusted to her situation with minimal stress to the body.

Web reference: http://prasadcosmeticsurgery.com/prasad-face-eyes/facelifts/quick_recovery_facelift/

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Age and facelifts

+1

if there is a anatomic indication for a facelift and facelift is a reasonable intervention inedependent of age.  so if there is cheek descent, jowels, obtuse cervicomental angel a facelift is likely indicated,  what is more important than age is a patients medical conditions and their understanding of the procedure adn its risks and benefits.

Facelift Surgery and Age

+1

The age of the person is not the most critical factor in determining whether or not a person could undergo surgery. The most important factor is the health and condition of the person.  There are 50 year old patients that can't have an operation because they have severe heart disease and there are 90 year old patients that lead a healthy life style, have no illnesses and take no medications who can have surgery.

That being said I have performed facelifts on patients over the age of 80 without any problems or concerns. Hypertension alone does not present a concern if it is well controlled, however the pacemaker may signify that she has underlying heart disease that may place her at increased risk if she is under anesthesia. The most important thing to do is to have your mother see her primary care physician and cardiologist to see if it is safe for her to have anesthesia and surgery. Remember that this is elective surgery and SAFETY is the number 1 priority.

Web reference: http://www.drsteiger.com/procedures/facelift/index.html

Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Since your Mother is 80 with hypertension and a pacemaker...assuming she can get a medical clearance from her internist...commonsense, IMHO, would dictate that a conservative approach be followed.  This may mean a minimal incision Face Lift that can be done in 90 minutes or less.  I personally would not agree to do any surgery that was more extensive than that because of her age.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Health status more important than age

+1

To be safe every patient should be thoroughly evaluated from a medical standpoint regardless of age. I would focus more on the medical issues than purely the age. To answer the question, a facelift is possible but I would only entertain that if it's safe for your mother and she is motivated to have this procedure in addition she has to be made aware of the post surgical issues and should have help as she heals.

Facelift in 80 Year Old Lady

+1

Age is recognized but not a critical factor in deciding if a patient should have a facelift. I have operated on patients your mom's age as long as they were in good health. Clearance by all of her physicians, including her internist and cardiolgist, will be necessary. Anesthetic techniques will be an important part of the pre-op discussion.

Facial Rejuvenation at 80

+1

Age is just a number and does not necessarily reflect a person's health. I have operated on a number of patients in their 80's, even with high blood pressure and pacemakers. I would definitely speak with her cardiologist and make sure that he/she has no concerns about the surgery. Also, if she is on any medicine that thins the blood, such as aspirin or Plavix, the cardiologist would be able to say if it is safe to stop those medicines before surgery.

My oldest cosmetic patient was 84 and she wanted to look good for her grandaughter's wedding. I did the surgery under twilight anesthesia and she did very well throughout the process and really looked great at the wedding.

Pasadena Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift after 80

+1

As long as she gets medical clearance from her cardiologist, has her blood pressure controlled, and gets the pacemaker 'serviced' she should have an acceptable level of risk.  Age alone is not a huge issue as long as general health is OK

Web reference: http://www.seattleface.com/html/face_lift.php