I Will Be Having my Mommy Makeover Done on March 12th Will I Be Able to Take a 4 Hour Car Trip After 17 Days?

I will be having a full tummy tuck, breast lift with aug, and lipo of the flanks. I really want to make it to my daughter's sport competition which is a 4 hour drive. I would be sitting in a chair for 4 hours during the competition. It will take place about 17 days post-op. Will my body be able to handle this?

When is it safe to travel following Mommy Makeover

+1

The short answer is yes if the following applies: Your postoperative recovery was uneventful , your drains have been removed, don't have a tendency to form clots and you are  without complications then you should be able to travel safely. There is some risk however and as long as you understand this risk (informed consent) and take some preventative actions a road trip would probably be fine in most cases. Here is what I would suggest - in all cases follow the instructions and guidance of your plastic surgeon. He/She knows you the best. Have a plan in place if there is a problem - does he know someone in the area you will be staying if a problem, would you be able to and willing to return if a problem (unlikely but still worth planning for).

The  biggest  risk of a long road trip primarily relates to getting a clot in your legs (deep venous thrombosis)  which could travel to your lungs (pulmonary embolus). To minimize this from happening, wear your anti-embolism stockings "TED's) - if you don't have any buy some, stop frequently - every hour or so, get out walk around for a few minutes, while sitting move your ankles and legs - do circles, up and down movements and elevate them if possible, drink lots of fluids and take plenty of "pit stops".  I personally take a  baby aspirin before long overseas trips or road trips requiring sitting for long periods of time and encourage you to do the same if not contraindicated, however this is controversial in the literature if it works.

Car ride after mommy makeover

+1

you should be OK with the 4 hour car ride 17 days after your surgery.  I would recommend some breaks during your trip to do some walking.   Get that blood circulating to prevent any blood clots.   But please check with your PS and get their thoughts.

All my mommy makeover patients are ambulating a few hours after surgery (of course walking flexed at their waist given the tummy tuck).   Most surgeons will likely recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks.   Every surgical plan is unique/different so I encourage you to direct these questions to your surgeon and his/her  staff.   Mommy Makeovers are truly transforming procedures.  I'm sure you'll love your results.

best of luck!
Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

4 hour car ride to 4 hour competition should be okay 17 days after Mommy Makeover

+1

Hi there-

As long as you follow your surgeon's instructions in all ways, and your early postoperative course goes smoothly otherwise, I would think you plans should not complicate your outcome or recovery at all.

As always, however, I would recommend you get your surgeon's permission.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Traveling after a mommy makeover

+1

It sounds like you should be okay.  Just make sure you get out and stretch every 1-2 hours in order to help prevent any blod clots in your legs.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Traveling 17 days after surgery.

+1

Assuming your surgery goes well and there are no problems afterward, then you should be able to make your trip.  Your biggest responsibility would be to keep yourself well hydrated, to wear compressive stocking on your legs ( you can get these in a medical supply store) and to stop every hour so you could get out and walk around for 10 to 15 minutes.  These measures are all meant to decrease the risk of blood clots in your legs during a 4 hour trip.  Be sure this is cleared with your PS prior to the trip.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Acivity level after mommy makeover

+1

Most likely you will feel up to attend the event, if not perhaps you can catch the next one. I would purchase some compression stockings to wear during the drive and make sure you stop several times during the trip and walk around for a few minutes--doing both of these will decrease your risk of blood clots. Get a comfortable seat pad/chair to sit in during the event, and of course check with your PS before you leave. Good luck! Dr Kerr

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Traveling After A Mommy Makeover

+1

I think you should be ok to travel, but I would recommend that you see your surgeon right before you leave to be sure that they have no concerns. I would also suggest that you "pump" your calves 20-30 times every 15 minutes while you are in the car. I would then have you get out of the car once an hour and walk for 5-10 minutes. These exercises are meant to reduce your risk of a DVT(blood clot). I would not recommend that you sit for the entire 4 hours of your child's event. You should "pump" your calves and walk around as I described earlier. Plan extra time, you will not be your usual self and you will tire easier than you normally would. Good luck to you and your daughter.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Car trip and travel 17 days after tummy tuck

+1

Yes, I agree that it will probably be okay.  You will need to have frequent stops for "walking breaks" to move your legs and prevent clots.  You will also probably not have all of your stamina back and tire easily.  Plan to take extra time to do everything as you will not be 100%.  If your surgeon uses drains, not all of them may be out by then depending on the amount you drain. Good Luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Traveling after a mommy makeover

+1

Dear Jennifer6177,

I ask my patients to not schedule any trips up to 3 weeks after any procedures under general anesthesia, wither by car or plane, if they can.

If any problems or concerns arise, then they can be seen right away the same day in the office.

there is the ever problem of DVTs ( blood clots in the legs ) if sitting for a prolonged period of time with pressure garments too. ( 4 hours in a car is long after surgery without stretching, walking )

and not even mentioning the discomfort at incisions sites, the swelling of tissues etc..still requiring pain meds eventually.

Maybe you want to schedule your procedure after the sport event ? you will be more relaxed then. After all, this is an elective procedure to make you look nice, not anxious about speedy healing..

your doctor should be a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Good luck with all and to your daughter,

Florence Mussat, MD

Florence Mussat, MD