My Mole Removal Scar is Purple/black, Should I Worry?

I had a mole removed on my leg about a month and a half ago, and the scar hasn't subsided. It's still a very deep purple/black. The results came back saying that the mole is atypical and I need to return in 3 months. Does the nature of my scar mean my mole may not be benign?

Scar on leg from biopsy

+1

The leg is an area that can take a while to heal. Vit E oil and support hose can help. I would find out more about how "atypical" the mole is and whether you need to re-treat the area.

How to treat an atypical mole

+1

In our office, we will do an excision with suture closure to get clear margins for all moles that have moderate to severe atypia. For a mildly atypical mole we will observe the area and, if any pigmentation recurs in the biopsy site in the future, a very small excision is done (often with a small punch biopsy tool) for a minimal scar. We also follow all of our "atypical mole" patients by doing full skin examinations every six months. I recommend you see a board certified dermatologist for both your surgery options as well as your follow-up examinations twice yearly.

Web reference: http://www.dorsetstreetdermatology.com

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon