My Mole Removal Scar is Purple/black, Should I Worry?

I had a mole removed on my leg about a month and a half ago, and the scar hasn't subsided. It's still a very deep purple/black. The results came back saying that the mole is atypical and I need to return in 3 months. Does the nature of my scar mean my mole may not be benign?

Scar on leg from biopsy

The leg is an area that can take a while to heal. Vit E oil and support hose can help. I would find out more about how "atypical" the mole is and whether you need to re-treat the area.

How to treat an atypical mole

In our office, we will do an excision with suture closure to get clear margins for all moles that have moderate to severe atypia. For a mildly atypical mole we will observe the area and, if any pigmentation recurs in the biopsy site in the future, a very small excision is done (often with a small punch biopsy tool) for a minimal scar. We also follow all of our "atypical mole" patients by doing full skin examinations every six months. I recommend you see a board certified dermatologist for both your surgery options as well as your follow-up examinations twice yearly.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon