How Should I Go About Getting my Mole on my Nose Removed? (photo)

When I was about 9 years old a mole developed on my nose and ever since I have been very self-conscious about it. I am now 16 years old and I really want to get it removed. I've already been to a dermatologist and she checked it out & said that she was afraid if she removed it I wouldn't like the scarring & suggested I go to a plastic surgeon. I realize there might be some scarring, but would like for the least amount possible. So, could I get some opinions on which way I should get it removed?

Mole removal

+1

From the photo provided, it is difficult to know whether the mole is raised or flat.  Because of the location, being on the nose, it may be best to have the mole treated with a shave excision and possibly lasered.  I would encourage you to have the mole sent to pathology as well. 

Nose mole and how to remove it

+1

The best way to remove a mole is physically cutting it out and surgeons call it an excision. You can also use a laser to remove it. There is a decision making process that I go through to determine what is best but the cut off is whether the mole is greater or lesser than 4mm in diameter. Sometimes it is where it is located that is more important. I would suggest excision for you.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best Methods For Removing Facial Moles

+1

You have several options when removing facial moles. In this case, shaving the mole flat and curretting the edges will be a 1st step. After it heals, then lightly freezing with liquid nitrogen a couple of times to lighten up the remaining dark freckle-looking base would be nice. Another option is to excise the mole, dermabrade the edges to blend it with the surrounding skin and suture it closed using multiple layers. This is then followed up with another dermabrasion in 6-12 weeks to polish it off. A 3rd method is to excise it and do a punch graft from behind the ear filling in the hole and dermabrading the edges initially and again in 6-12 weeks. All these are done with only a pin prick needed for anesthesia and should give nice results. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Best methods for removing a mole on the nose

+1

From the appearance of the mole in your picture, I believe a "shave excision" would give you the best cosmetic result. Depending on their size and location, facial moles can be easily removed by one of two methods. One is a "shave excision" where the mole is actually "shaved off" at a level just below the surface of the skin. The other is an excision with suture closure which uses both dissolving and non-dissolving sutures Dermatologic surgeons, not plastic surgeons, typically do both procedures expertly and can decide which would be best for your particular mole. All methods of surgery will leave a scar but the trick is to minimize the scar using the best technique.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Removal of Mole From Nose

+1

I am sorry that the dermatologist did not feel comfortable removing the mole. Based on the picture, removing this mole isn't very technically difficult and many dermatologists can take care of this for you. If you prefer a plastic surgeon, they can remove it as well. But it can be removed and the mark left behind will be very minimal.  It is very important that whomever removes the mole sends it to the dermatopathologist to be checked under the microscope. Good luck. If you want this mole off, it can come off with great cosmetic results!

Channing R. Barnett, MD