My Mole Has a Dark Red Ring Around It, is It Dangerous? (photo)

A few months ago, the hairdresser noticed a dark red ring around my mole. It's right behind my ear, about 5 cm above and 3 cm behind. It's pretty big, about 1 cm wide, and the ring around it is kind of dark red-ish, not going into pink at all. I don't know what to do with it, it's not irritating me at all but I'm afraid it could be something more serious. I haven't been to a doctor yet, should I?

Mole

+1

I would highly recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist for a proper evaluation and possible biopsy.

Mole with a dark red ring

+1

Any mole that has increased to that size and has changed needs to be evaluated by  a board certified dermatologist. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: A for Asymmetry; B for irregular Borders; C for black or uneven Colors; D for Diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and E for a growth that is Evolving or changing. It is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a dermatologist to remove the mole using either a "punch" or a "shave" biopsy which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance. 

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Changing Mole

+1

In my opinion I would see a board-certified dermatologist to evaluate the lesion. We frequently talk about the ABCDs of melanoma, which stands for Asymmetry, irregular Border, varied Color, and large Diameter. But there is also an "E" (i.e. ABCDE) that stands for Evolving or changing. Have a dermatologist check out the pigmented lesion and see if it should be biopsied or removed. Good luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Mole

+1

It is difficult to make a diagnosis from pictures.

You need to see a plastic surgeon for complete excision