Do my Minilift Scars Look As if They Are Progressing Well? (photo)

I had a minilift one month ago and my scars are wider than I had imagined they would be. I have been using a silicone spray twice a day since the stitches were removed. I imagine the scars will get less red with time but could they get thinner as well? And are the track marks from the stitches likely to remain visible? I know I have to wait 8 months before any scar revision, but if I do so in due course, what would be the most advisable techniques? I am olive skinned with some freckles.

Facelift Scars

+3

Based on your photos, you are a candidate for scar revision.  These scars need to be excised and redone.  You should never have track scars following facial surgery.  The goal is to look good, wear your hair up, and not worry about unsightly scars.  The Plastic Surgeon should follow your scars closely to make sure you are healing with a good cosmetic result.

Facelift scars with railroad tracks in front of the sideburn.

+2

Facelift scars with railroad tracks in front of the sideburn may require hair transplants to fill in in the future . I almost never use a scar in front of the sideburn since the hair grows backward to expose the scar.

These are not optimal scars

+1

In addition to  being poorly placed, these scars appear to have been poorly sutured too.  The problem with relying on scar revision is that if you expect to remove the entirety of the affected skin, meaning the full length of the stitch marks, you will almost have another mini-facelift, and that may well distort things.  I would first try to aggressively manage these scars and avoid another procedure in which more skin would be removed.  Although you are correct that the scars will fade with time, the pigmentation and texture may not be optimal if left to their own devices or just treated with topical silicone preparations.  At one month these scars are very treatable, and I would give some strong consideration to finding an excellent dermatologist who has a pulsed dye laser, like V-beam, to address the red pigment and a fractionated CO2 or Erbium laser to address the texture, and have a series of laser treatments to optimize the appearance of the scars. 

Mini Lift incision scars are usually hidden quite nicely.

+1

Your scars are not going to be easy to revise without superficial dermabrading the area and multiple hair transplants to conceal the scars. Usually the incisions are hidden in the hair line and there are no cross hatching marks. I think now is the time to consider starting the revisions.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Web reference: http://www.drdavidhansen.com

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Facelift Scars

+1

I understand, and can see your concern regarding your facelift incisions.  Yes, it is early in the recovery period and the redness should fade somewhat over time.  Certain products can help to reduce the redness, such as application of OTC hydrocortisone cream.  What cannot be corrected is the positioning and placement of your incisions.  Due to the location of the incisions, anterior to the hairline, they will always be noticeable to a certain extent.  The modern facelift approach uses incisions which are specifically placed to camouflage resultant incisional scars while also preserving the sideburn.  Your scars should not have "tracks" on them.  This usually results from an incision which is closed under tension at the skin level.  Facelift incisions are delicate incisions which should be closed without significant tension on the incision lines to prevent widening and resulting "tracks" on the scars.  If you are not happy with your current treatment I suggest you followup with a board certified plastic of facial plastic surgeon with vast experience in facelift surgery.  Good Luck! 

Web reference: http://www.dranthonycorrado.com/

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Scars

+1

These facelift scars are early and will likely fade over a year's time but the track marks will remain.  There are many benefits to never making the scar into the anterior or posterior hairline and never altering the sideburn.  Kenneth Hughes, MD HughesPlasticSurgery Los Angeles, CA

Facelift and scars

+1

First, i think that you have to give the scars time to mature and this may take six months to a year. If they do not fade significantly, then a scar revision may be necessary.

Mini lift Scars

+1

Unfortunately, these scars have  a high likelihood of requiring revision. The width of he suture/staple tracks is rather wider than one would hope in such a procedure. However, it would be best to wait a few months before a final decision is made. 

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift scars

+1

Your scars will get better over 6 months but will never be as discreet as those of a better chosen approach. You can be fixed with densely packed , fine caliber hair transplants. 

Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon