My Mini TT and Lipo Have Been Delayed Twice Due to a Technical Issue with the Operating Table. Should I Find a New Surgeon?

A friend who is an MD underwent a full abdominoplasty and recommended me to board certified Dr. who did his procedure . His surgeries are done in a JCHAO certified suite in his office, and after I was drawn up and ready to go in yesterday, I was left waiting 4 hours due to a problem with the table. I was rescheduled for this morning and got a call on the way out the door that the table is going out for repairs. Now I'm wondering if I've chosen the right Dr? I'm on an emotional roller coaster!

Does equipment malfunctions make the surgeon?

+1

I don't think so.  He is being safe and unfortunately in doing so, it delays your procedure and upsets your life due to obligations and other issues.  If he is good (as you say) and your schedules can be adjusted, waiting is not going to hurt anything but only make it safer for you.

Tummy tuck and equipment issue

+1

It is totally understandable onyour part to be frustrated, but the doctor was smart enough to check his equipment before surgery to make sure it works properly.  If there is goign to be a significant delay to fix the table, perhaps he can do it somewhere else?

Surgery Delay Due to Equipment Malfunction

+1

It's completely understandable why you would be frustated and distressed about having your surgery delayed, but unfortunately, equipment problems do happen and can sometimes result in a delay of surgery. It is important to remember that your surgeon has delayed your surgery because he wants to do what is best for you. I am sure that he is quite distressed as well with the equipment failure. Perhaps they might have not made you wait for so long, or communicated a little better about the problem, and you might not feel as though you are on as much of a roller coaster. If you your surgeon is genuinely apologetic then I wouldn't rush to find a new surgeon.

Braden Stridde, MD
Federal Way Plastic Surgeon

Certified Surgical Center

+1

I think the process sounds a little fishy.  JCHAO is not a certification that I am aware of. I only know of AAHC and AAAASF.  If you like the surgeon stick with him but otherwise I would look around for another surgeon. The first cancellation is ok but the second bothers me but it maybe just a communication issue between the PS office and you.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Certified Surgical Centers for Plastic Surgery in Califonia

+1

there are many different type of certifications for surgery centers. Some of them such as JCHAO are not as stringent as Medicare certification. I use a surgical center that has mutiple rooms and has plenty of backup equipment and is Certified by Medicare, Blue Cross, and AAAHC.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Should I Find a New Surgeon?

+1

Equipment malfunctions happen, even in hospitals. It is always difficult to reschedule surgery when you are emotiionally ready to go, but it sounds like your surgeon comes highly recommended and did NOT procede with your surgery when he felt it was not in your interest. I think you need to consider your personal time frame, but if you like the doctor, I would stick with him/her.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD