Why Would my Mini-facelift Scars (Not Keloid) Around Ears Be Getting Worse at 2 Months Out?

They are not becoming keloid, they are getting redder and look "irritated". The skin directly around the scars (front and back) is turning a light maroon color. My Doc says they are inflammed, not infected, but doesn't know why. She suggested hydrocortizone (.1%), which i've been using for a week, and to stop using anything with too many chemicals (switched to baby shampoo & a gentle face soap). Could oral Ketoconazole be causing this? (a recent 3-week course for systematic yeast problem).

Minilift scarring

+2

Each person's healing response is different, but it is not uncommon for scars to look more read at the 1-2 month period during what is called the proliferative phase of wound healing. Angiogenesis (new blood vessel formation) is happening in this stage and is likely the reason for the redness. If the wound is flat and the scar line is thin, I wouldn't inject with steroid. I think that the best options are to cover it with makeup and wait for the color to fade to normal, or you can have a specialized laser treatment with a pulsed dye laser that can speed up the process.

Michael Kim, MD

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rede scars after mini lift

+2

Scars do go through a maturation process and there is often an inflammatory component to this which you may be going through. It should be settling down by 2 months but every person is different. One question to ask you doctor is whether or not you have deep sutures at the incision such as vicryl. These sutures absorb slowly and sometimes trigger an inflammatory response as well. The best thing at this time is to stay in close contact with your surgeon, follow his or her advice and be conservative with intervention.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift scar treatment in Los Angeles

+1

Some scars tend to thicken with time and these need early and aggressive attention to minimize scarring. Options include surgery, laser, and topical treatment. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Red Scars at 2 Months Following Facelift

+1

Avoid sun exposure and any chemicals to the areas.  At 2 months, some scars are very red, but they do tend to improve over about a one year period.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA