Will my Medicare Cover Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift if Due to Major Medical Issue, Brain Tumor?

my previously undiagnosed brain tumor. Located in the Pitutary Stalk and hypoyhalmus causing defirguration. After gastric bypass, will Medicare cover tummy tuck and breast lift?

Medicare coverage for tummy tuck and breast lift after brain tumor? Nope.

+2

I have been a reviewer for Medicare and BlueCross/Blue Shield for years, and can tell you that neither of these operations is ever covered by Medicare, even after a pituitary tumor that may have had a role in your obesity. I'm glad to hear that you are now OK and that gastric bypass will help return you to a healthier weight. Unfortunately, neither tummy tuck nor breast lift restores function, and both of these are considered elective and "cosmetic" in nature. Don't even try, or listen to a surgeon who implies that he or she "might " be able to obtain coverage for you. This is just a ploy to get you to see them.

You will need to self-pay, so you should carefully choose your plastic surgeon. Also, after massive weight loss you may need to consider lower body lift rather than tummy tuck. For examples of patients who underwent this procedure, click on the link below. Best wishes!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

It is highly unlikely that Medicare will cover your abdominoplasty and breast life.

+1

It would be very surprising if Medicare covered the procedures you mentioned even though they were the result of a pituitary tumor. 

Medicare will not cover your TT and breast lift.

+1

As the other responders have so clearly stated and for all the reasons, Medicare will only pay for "functional" surgery, and both of the surgeries you are interested in are cosmetic in nature. 

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Medicare coverage of breast and body surgery

+1

The answer is "No".

Medicare is not designed to cover what are in reality cosmetic procedures.

Perhaps you can stage these procedures as an outpatient to manage your out of pocket costs. Good luck!

Ann F. Reilley, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Medicare and cosmetic surgery

+1

Medicare will not cover cosmetic procedures such as breast lifts or tummy tucks. They may cover a panniculectomy which just removes the overhanging abdominal skin or a breast reduction. Best of luck, Dr Kerr

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Medicare and cosmetic surgery

+1

Medicare does not cover breast lifts or tummy tucks. These are considered cosmetic surgery.  Good luck.

Medicare Coverage For Tummy Tuck And Breast Lift ?

+1

Medicare does not provide pre-determination of surgical procedures until most private insurance carriers. Therefore, it is impossible to know before surgery whether they will cover any procedure or not. That being said, a tummy tuck and a breast lift are known cosmetic procedures that clearly falls outside of what Medicare would consider reconstructive surgery.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Will my Medicare Cover Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift ?

+1

No insurance compant knowingly pays for Cosmetic surgery. Medicare, a government health care program for the over 65 and the disabled, has a strict policy of paying for SOME reconstructive surgery and never for cosmetic surgery. Getting your tummy flat and lifting your breasts is not essential to save or improve your life or function and is considered "cosmetic". It will NOT be paid for by Medicare and any doctor who wishes to pass the cost to Medicare and the Tax payers may find himself in a world of trouble worse than cheating the IRS.

Cosmetic Surgery

+1

A tummy tuck and a breast lift are cosmetic procedures and not covered by any insurance , Certainly not  by Medicare.

Fortunately your brain tumor was diagnosed and you are alive. Sometimes if you have a Pannus that hangs down and covers the pubic area the insurance may cover that part and you could pay the additional charge for the abdominoplasty and the breast lift.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck/Breast Lifting and Insurance Coverage?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the “undiagnosed brain tumor” and its subsequent effect on your torso. Unfortunately, it is very unlikely (despite your medical history)  that any type of insurance plan will cover tummy tuck and/or breast lifting surgery. These procedures will be considered medically “unnecessary”.