My Lower Face is Red, Swollen, and Itchy After 2cc Restylane Injection to the Marionette Line Area?

Is this an allergic reaction or a typical reaction? I hate taking medications, but I took Benadryl to help me get to sleep last night-it helped a little. I took 20 mg Prednisone this morning. I do have another 20 mg dose of Prednisone that I can take tomorrow as well. I am wondering if perhaps 2cc of the filler was too much-and will end up stretching my skin? Also, would going in the jacuzzi be a good idea because it stimulates circulation? Or is that a bad idea due to the heat?

Side effects of Restylane

+2

Redness, swelling, and itchiness sound like typical symptoms of an allergic reaction. Your skin will not stretch from 2cc of Restylane. The skin is elastic, and even a great amount of filler would not do this. In general, the side effects of a Restylane treatment may include:

1) Swelling
2) Redness around the injection site
3) Light bruising

Going in the jacuzzi would not help, nor would it have a significant negative influence on your condition. I would recommend following up with your physician who performed the treatment right away, as they know the details of your procedure. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck!

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

It's very rare to have an allergic reaction from Restylane. Follow up with your medical provider, he/she can further assist you and re-evaluate the area

Restylane and reactions

+1

It is very rare to have an allergic reaction to a dermal filler. It's not uncommon to have 2mL's of product injected, however it sounds like you need to follow up with your provider for a full assessment.

Sam Naficy, MD

Allergy to fillers

+1

It is very rare to have an allergy reaction to restylane. It is more likely related to the topical. Best to be seen by your doctor.

Allergic reactions and restylane

+1

True allergic reactions to hyaluronic acid fillers are extremely rare including restylane. More commonly, the topical anesthetic that was used is generally the culprit. In either case, I would contact your treating physician and have them evaluate your concerns.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Allergic Reaction to Restylane?

+1

Hi Dyanna.  Allergic reactions to Restylane are very rare and in fact in the past 10 years in our practice we have not seen one.  Patients do sometimes have an allergic reaction to the numbing cream, wipes or other preparations we use for the skin before the treatment.  This may be what's happening in your case.  

You should contact your injector to discuss the issues you are having.  The jacuzzi would not be a problem.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Red, swollen and itchy after Restylane

+1

I'm wondering if a topical anesthetic was applied to you before the fillers were done.... If so, you may be having a reaction to that. This seems more likely than the Restylane itself because based on what you are describing it seems much more topically related. I would suggest you call your injector for a follow-up. Benadryl is fine. I wouldn't randomly take a dosage or two of Prednisone - those types of medication need to be taken in entirety if needed. 1 or 2 pills won't do it. And finally, no to the jacuzzi.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Lack of necessary information to answer these good questions.

+1

No this is not necessarily too much treatment at one time but that very much depends on your face and your injector.  When was your treatment done?  If we are taking hours, days or weeks?  This makes a big difference.  Did your injecting physician prescribe the benadryl and prednisone or are these medicines that were in the cabinet and you are treating yourself?  Large treatments in the nasolabial fold can compromise circulation, these are associated with a dusky discoloration of the skin and generally pain.  Is this going on as well?  If you are not seeing a physician for the management of this, I strongly suggest you get seen today by a board certified dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon so you can be assessed.

Restylane injections

+1

Dear dyanna,

• These are questions you should bring up to your injector
  • If you are not comfortable with this, then you should see someone else
  • An exam would be very helpful in your case
  • I would probably avoid the jacuzzi because it might make the redness worse

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD