Why is my Lower Abdomen Sticking out After a Full Tummy Tuck?

My lower abdomen looks round and fat 4 months after a Full Tummy Tuck. Since the surgery, I had swelling on the right side of my belly button and below it to the incision line, however, since this past week, I have been noticing that my lower abdomen is beginning to stick out and I am looking like I am pregnant. I have not gained any weight since the surgery. As a matter of fact, I have lost 10 pounds. Is this the final result or is it still considered swelling? :(

Consult with your doctor if experiencing issues after a tummy tuck ...

+1

Problems such as this are best answered by the operating surgeon. Bulging after a tummy tuck can be caused by many things: weight gain, fluid collection (such as a seroma), bursting of sutures, etc. Only your surgeon can evaluate you appropriately.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Swelling below the belly button after a tummy tuck.

+1

Swelling below the belly button at 4 months following a tummy tuck is likely related to either a fluid pocket (seroma) or laxity in the abdominal wall. Only a full examination of your abdomen will give you the answer. Follow up with your plastic surgeon and explain what has happened.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Swelling post tummy

+1

Could this be swqelling yes but if your doctor plicare or sutured your muscles together and the sutures came undone it could be due to this.i would wear a girdle type garment 24/7 for a while and see how it does.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Still swollen after a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Difficult to tell without a picture and exam. I tell my patients it is normal to expect swelling for up to 6 months after a TT with lipo. If you are concerned about your appearance I would encourage you to F/U with your PS and discuss your concerns. 

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Swelling After a Tummy Tuck

+1

Dear Dawn, 

I am sorry that you are having this issue so late after your surgery.  Without an examination, it is impossible to give you a precise answer. From your description, the most likely problem is a seroma.  Seromas are fluid collections that occur under the skin and fatty layers and above the muscle layer.  These are one of the more common complications that can occur after a tummy tuck and require your surgeon;s attention.  Often seromas can be treated with drainage but again, this is something only your surgeon can determine.  Usually, once the seroma is treated, the result you have been waiting for can be achieved.

Please contact your surgeon's office as soon as possible for the examination you need. Best of luck.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon