My lips were filled and my upper lip is now protruding. (Photo)

Hi, I had my lips filled now my top lip has swelled and it protrudes over my bottom lip. They were filled yesterday so this photo is around 24hours after. I know the swelling will go down and that unevenness in the swelling can occur, but I can feel the filler in my top lip and I think that the general shape will remain the same. When I smile with my teeth showing my lip looks like an 'M' shape and it's so ugly and fake-looking. I think the filler used was Restylane. Please help! Thanks

Upper lip is protruding after fillers

+2
You just had the filler less than 24 hours ago. The first 48 hours will be the most swelling and swelling is always asymmetrical. I know it's hard, but wait it out. You don't want to do anything to it for at least 10-14 days after the filler was injected because you don't know what's filler and what's swelling. Also, keep your hands away from it and don't press on the area. One, you can move the filler, and two, you can make the swelling worse.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

My lips were filled and my upper lip is now protruding

+2
Swelling is very common after lip injections, I suggest you wait 2-3 weeks for the product to settle before you see your final result

Fillers in lips

+2
Fillers in lips can cause a lot of swelling just after injection. It may take a few days for this to settle down. Best to give it some time.

Swelling from lip injections

+1
It is perfectly normal to have swelling immediately after injections.  I would wait two weeks to see the full effect and wait for the swelling to dissipate before trying to correct the injections.  

Michele S. Green, MD

Swelling after lip filler

+1
Swelling and bruising is common after having any filler injected.  If the swelling persists or you are not happy with the results after 2-3 weeks, your dermatologist or plastic surgeon can inject some hyaluronidase into the area.  This will dissolve the Restylane if you're still unhappy with the results.

Erica Linnell, MD
Seattle Dermatologist

Lip Filler May Cause Termporary Irregularity

+1
Injectable fillers, like Restylane and Juvederm, usually cause some swelling for a few days.  The swelling may not be symmetrical and may produce an unesthetic appearance, however, this typically resolves rapidly. 

Injectable fillers augment the lips in every dimension - thickness, width, and length. But, very little volume is usually injected, so the mild distortion comes from swelling that develops quite rapidly. Some people swell more than others, and the lips are more susceptible to swelling than other areas of the face.

The swelling that occurs with fillers make the lips stiff for a few hours to a few days. So, the lips do not flex normally and can look and feel distorted. Give the filler a few days to settle down and you will be very happy with the result.

Kevin L. McBride, DDS
Dallas Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Filler in the lips

+1
Swelling in the lips after hyaluronic acid fillers is incredibly common, and it can make the lips look distorted for 1-2 weeks. Ice and sleeping with the head slightly elevated can help with swelling. If the results are still unpleasing after 2 weeks, a follow up visit with the injector can be helpful. Filler can be placed in the lower lip to balance out the top lip, or the filler in the top lip can be dissolved with hyaluronidase. Luckily, fillers are temporary.

Ramona Behshad, MD
Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon