Does my Left Veneer Have an Open Margin? Should It Be Replaced? (photo)

I have got 2 veneers done recently on my 2 front teeth. the left veneer however seems to have a slight gap between it and the gum line, I'm afraid decay might get in this small gap and cause decay. Do you think from this picture i should be worried?

Open margin

+1

It is hard to tell from the photo. The veneers don't always go completely equal with the gums. As long as they are flush with your tooth underneath then you will be okay. Have a dentist check your mouth.

Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Open Margin or not?

+1

An open margin is NOT where the veneer falls short of the gumline. The veneer can end short of the gumline and be fine as long as the edges are all closed and sealed .  There should be a smooth transition and seal between the veneer and the tooth structure...no rough areas. So we are talking about whether there is an acutal gap or rough area that is not sealed not just where the veneer does not come all the way up to the gumline. Go back to your dentist and have him look at the veneer and tell you whether it is ok or not.

Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

What is open margin

+1

Sorry , but can not give you an answer unless at the minimum we have x-rays. Even then we may need to have it checked clinically. Open margin can be anywhere around the tooth.

Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

I have a gap in my veneer should I be worried ?

+1

First a radiograph would be better than a photo. Ask your dentist if a gap is present sometime a tooth colored filling will be all that is needed, if not the veneer can be replaced. Don't confuse open margins or gap with gum recession. Good Luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD    CEO Baystate Dental PC

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Does Left Veneer Have an Open Margin?

+1

It's impossible to tell from the photo if there is an open margin. A dentist would have to check it clinically.

New York Cosmetic Dentist