My Left Implant Has Deflated?

Left implant has deflated and I was wonder how saline they might hold onto even after deflating. My PS seems to think it is pretty empty. Have you ever drained and implant be fore doing and explant to give an idea of what would remain? How much is left to take out beside the implant itself? These are saline, under the muscle and the smooth kind. They were filled to 550cc. Is there some kind of stitching that can be done on the inside to firm or lift things up? thanks .

Deflated Breast Implants

+1

Thank you for your question. When we remove deflated implants, they usually have less than 100cc in them, very little. Remove them when convenient. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Implant deflation and revision.

+1

A deflated saline implant will retain a small amount of saline, but the vast majority leaks out of the device and is absorbed. During the replacement procedure, it certainly is possible to tighten up the internal pocket to improve implant position and/or projection. You may wish to exchange the other implant as well if you are going to the OR, particularly if you wish to have a tightening up of the internal space.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Left Breast Implant Deflation

+1

If you do not want the implants any longer, both can be removed.  The tissue envelope will contract to some extent.  The implants can be replaced with the same size or different sized implants.  Whether or not you need a lift will have to be determined on exam and with consideration of size of implants, if any.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Steps after breast implant rupture and deflation

+1

Deflation of a ruptured saline breast implant should be followed with explantation and revision surgery.  

I would recommend early intervention to prevent the breast tissue from retracting post rupture. One possibility is to replace both implants. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Saline Implant Deflation

+1

Saline implants deflate due to two main reasons; either a valve leak or a small hole in the implant shell or wall.  Typically with a valve leak, the implant will partially deflate, often retaining 30 to 50% of its original volume.  If you have a leak in the wall of the implant, your body will absorb all of the saline and the implant will totally deflate. As a general rule, most plastic surgeons would not drain an implant percutaneously (through the skin) but only through a surgical procedure. If you've had a 550cc implant that has deflated, you will need more than internal stitching to achieve a satisfactory result.  Good luck to you. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Implant rupture

+1

I am sorry to hear of your unfortunate complication with rupture.  It sounds as if it was determined by your plastic surgeon that you have a ruptured implant.  Especially for saline implants, it is reasonable to deflate an implant to assist you in decision-making for the next step.  By doing so, it wold allow you to see how much tissue you have left if the implants were simply removed and the overall appearance if this were done.  This could also allow further discussion and help you decide as to whether placement of another implant, or removal of your implants alone or with a breast lift would be the right decision for you.  

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Implant deflated

+1

I am not sure exactly what you are asking. If you want a new implant then that can be performed. If you want or need a lift that too can be performed.

What to Do after Breast Implant Deflation?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you have experience. Given your plastic surgeon's assessment, it is likely that you have a near complete breast implant deflation. Yes, it is possible to intentionally deflate breast implants prior to removal;  sometimes this maneuver will allow for a patient and her surgeon to determine the next best course of action ( for example need for breast lifting or not).

In regards to “stitching that can be done on the inside”,  you may be referring to internal sutures called capsulorrhaphy. This procedure serves to alter the breast implant pocket and may allow for use of a smaller breast implant and/or better positioned breast implants.

Communicate your goals and concerns clearly with your plastic surgeon and together you will come up with the best course of action.

My Left Implant Has Deflated

+1

The usual is for complete deflation, and if your surgeon thinks so based upon an examination, that is probably correct. 

Occasionally implants are deflated intentionally. Sometimes I will deflate the opposite side of a spontaneous deflation while a patient is considering options. And in patients who are downsizing, I will sometimes deflate just before surgery to help choose the new implant size.

if you need a breast lift, you will need external incisions.

Discuss with your surgeon. All the best.