Why is left flank still sore and bigger than right flank: 1 year post op lipo and tummy tuck? (Photo)

I had a full tummy tuck and lipo of flanks a year ago. My left flank sticks out in a weird way and is still sore when i massage it. It feels like a soft, small water filled balloon deep under the skin. Also, i have noticed that both flanks feel cold to the touch when the rest of my stomach and back are warm to the touch. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have added photos and am pointing at the flank in question.

Tummy Tuck : One side is different.

+1
It is possible that you have a chronic seroma on that side. This is a condition where fluid persists and is encapsulated or "walled off" by the body. It is not dangerous, so do not worry.

They are more common in the abdominal area after tummy tucks, but can form in the flanks. They can be diagnosed with an ultrasound, which is an option for you at this time. Some doctors might just forgo the test and just go right to surgery. If you want it to look better, surgery will be necessary anyway.

Treatment is going to entail removal of the seroma and more liposuction. Probably a drain will be necessary. The doctor can also remove more skin to give you a better contour and to match the opposite side more.

Overall, the treatment is very successful and I would recommend it. Since it has been a year since your operation I don't think it will improve on its own.

I hope this helps!

Dr Chris Saunders

West Chester Plastic Surgeon