My Left Breast is Larger Than my Right Could It Still Just Be Swelling or Maybe Fluid? (photo)

Only 8 days postop but noticing my right breast has gone down a lot while my left has stayed the same. I am wondering if I may have fluid that needs to be drained. Also my right breast has a somewhat flat slope at the top now which looks awkward to the side like it has been smushed. Is this normal? And will it stay like that? I went from an A cup to 450cc smooth moderate round plus gel. which is why am am worried about this flat slope on my right. I go back Mon but just curious of your thoughts.

Asymmetric Breasts After Breast Augmentation

+2

Thank you for the photographs and it appears that you are healing well. The asymmetry could be something very normal with each side going at its own pace or even related to asymmetry that you had before surgery. If the breast is very firm or has become "more swollen" over time, it is possible that there is fluid within the breast pocket that needs to be drained. There is no bruising, so the likelihood of blood is small. Follow up with your plastic surgeon to be evaluated in person as they will be the best one to decide. 

Vincent Marin, MD

Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

At this stage in your recovery,  some breast asymmetry is very common. This does not necessarily mean anything of significance;  in other words, it is much too early to evaluate the end results of your surgical procedure. 

I would suggest that you allow for several months ( preferably at least 6)  before you evaluate the end results of surgery;  you may find that in the meantime the press will change significantly in size, shape, and symmetry.

Breasts Uneven One Week After Surgery

+2

Your question is a very common one. Everyone expects the breasts to be exactly the same right after surgery and are surprised when they aren't. Think of it this way - you had two different operations. There is no reason to expect them to heal at the same rate. In fact, I frequently hear from patients that one side was bigger for awhile and then it switched! We worry if there is a dramatic difference because it could represent internal blood collecting that may need to be drained. Based on your photos I would guess the differences are just due to natural swelling and in 6-12 weeks, when fully healed, everything will be as you want it. But don't be afraid to bring your concerns up with your doctor at your next appointment.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

You Are Still Early In Your Recovery

+1
Congratulations on your breast augmentation! Maximum swelling occurs at about 3-5 days after surgery. In a few more days, the swelling and bruising will gradually subside, and for the majority of patients, most swelling will resolve within 2 weeks of your surgery.
Your implants will gradually settle in the weeks after surgery (aka "drop and fluff").

As your body accommodates to your new implants, you’ll notice that your breasts will gradually look more and more natural – the way you hoped they’d be! Over the course of about three to four months, your body creates new skin to accommodate the additional volume of your implants. This natural process is called “tissue expansion”, and relieves the tightness you may be experiencing. It allows for the implants to settle more into a better position with the help of gravity. A gradual redistribution of volume from the upper to the lower breast occurs, resulting in an enlargement and rounding out of the lower breast.

Although it's often called "dropping", it is more like "redistribution". The "fluffing" part refers to the impression that the lower breast enlarges and that your skin softens with the creation of new tissues. The extent to which this occurs depends on several factors, including the implant size, the tightness of your skin, and your body shape.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Breast swelling

+1
If you are only 8 days postop, it is probably just swelling that accounts for the small amount of breast asymmetry that you have.  Good luck as you continue to heal.

David Stoker, MD

Breast Surgery

+1
It is very hard to make clinical decisions based on a very little information provided on the internet, I suggest you see a local board certified plastic surgeon with aesthetic expertise

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Asymmetry after breast augmentation is very common at 8 days

+1

Thank you for your question. By all means contact your plastic surgeon and be seen in follow-up so your Dr. may check you.

That said, from your photographs I don't see any evidence of Hematoma or seroma, but you need an examination.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Swelling after breast augmentation

+1

Hello Miss Bee. Swelling after breast augmentation is very common and usually lasts for at least several weeks. It can even last for as long as several months. Also, the implants appear high in the beginning and take time to "settle".  So it's important for you to realize that you are very early in the healing process and you should not make any decisions about your final result for a while. Keep all your appointments with your plastic surgeon.

I hope that helps and wish you all the best.

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry after Breast Augmetation

+1

Very few breasts are symmetrical before surgery and breast augmentation can make asymmetry more obvious. But there could be other reasons froth asymmetry such as surgical swelling, potential fluid or blood collection in the implant pocket or very uncommonly an implant failure / leak. Please, see your Plastic surgeon and have him examine you. The odds are its only surgical swelling but  it's worth finding out. 

Good Luck. 

Swelling after Breast Augmentation

+1

Some swelling after breast augmentation is normal and often one breast may swell more  than the other. You should consult with your surgeon to ensure there is no signs of fluid buildup. Sometimes an ultrasound can help definitely answer the question if there is any fluid. Remember this early one breast may look bigger, may sit higher, and may be more sore, but this is generally a natural part of the healing process.

Ankit Desai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon