My left breast is not dropping like my right. It also sags at the bottom. Is this normal 3 weeks post op? (photo)

I am a little over 3 weeks post op. I have mentor high profile 450cc submusculer implants. My right breast is dropping but my left does not seem to be. The implant is high but my breast is sagging beneath. I am really worried that something is not right. My doc says that in time it will be fine but I have not seen him in a couple of weeks. Do you think that this sagging is caused because I needed a lift? Or is this common? HELP please!

Dropping At Different Rates After Breast Augmentation

+1
I wouldn't be too concerned about this. It is very common for one breast to heal faster than the other. It is also common for one breast to drop sooner than the other. Please allow for up to 4 months to see the results of your surgery. By that time, your breasts will have dropped and the tightness will have subsided as well.

Please follow your surgeon's instructions.

BBA

+1
This can be quite normal.  Without knowing the details of your case, I can't say for sure but your implants were likely placed under the muscle.  It will take time for the pec muscles to relax and allow the implants to drop.  There are things that can be done to help them drop faster BUT you should only do these if your PS says it is ok.  You should discuss your concerns with your PS.  Keep in mind that your breasts will continue to change appearance for at least 6-12 months after your surgery.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

High Breast implant after augmentation

+1
Hello chic1222, thank you for your question. It is completely normal, especially at this stage in your post-operative recovery for one breast to ‘drop” sooner than another. At only 3 weeks post-op, it is impossible to get an appreciation for what your final result will look like. Although it is difficult, waiting for your results after so much anticipation leading up to the surgery date, it is a necessary part of the recovery process.
Everyone’s breasts are asymmetrical and thus we cannot expect them to act identically.The implant is still high due to the pectoralis muscle still being very tight. It will eventually loosen and relax to accommodate the new volume and give you a more natural look. Several weeks following surgery, you can encourage this breast to drop by regularly massaging the superior aspect of the breast. Meet with your surgeon and continue to abide by his/her instruction and hopefully your results will be what you expected – perhaps even more. Good luck during recovery!

Stanley Okoro, MD

Breast augmentation

+1

This is very common and nothing to worry about.  3 weeks is too soon to tell if there is an issue, if you are very concerned then call you PS and schedule a consultation.  In the mean time I recommend regular massage of implants and give it a little time 6-8 weeks out you will have a better idea.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant asymmetry

+1

It's very common for one implant to drop faster than the other in the first 3 months after submuscular breast augmentation.  I have noticed that the dominant side tends to drop first in the vast majority of women.  Most surgeons recommend massaging the breast to get the implants to settle faster.  Be sure to discuss this with your PS.  At this point, I would not be worried about needing any sort of revision.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

3 Weeks Post-Op

+1

Thank you for your question. 3 weeks is definitely too soon to tell what your final result will be. I know it is difficult to be patient and take the wait and see approach, but at your 6 week post-op appointment you should have a more clear result. You should always be able to call your PS to schedule an earlier appointment to discuss your concerns. I hope this helps

Christine Rodgers, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry at 3 weeks

+1

3 weeks is too early to make an assessment. It is not uncommon for patients with nice even outcomes at 6 weeks to have been uneven this early. As the pectoral muscles relax, the upper pole fullness goes away, and the implants fill out the lower poles. 

Without looking at preop photos, I would not hazard a guess about the need for a lift. In any event, follow postop massage instructions, and don't think about a lift or other remedies until 6 months has passed.

All the best, Dr Gottlieb