My Left Arm Went Numb After BA.

I am almost 5 week post BA and my left arm is numb. My ps says its not from surgery, but I didnt have this before, its tingly, heavy and sore to my fingers. Pain from my breast, to my arm pit down to my fingers. What do i do if my PS doesnt think this happened due to surgery, I never had this before. I cant lift with this arm, and it hurts to the touch.

Arm Numbness after Breast Augmentation?

+1

What you're describing is likely related to pressure/traction on a nerve in the brachial plexus or arm. This should gradually resolve/improve.  Referral to a neurologist may be indicated  for accurate diagnosis.

My Left Arm Went Numb Aftr Breast Aug..What happened?Answr:

+1

I agree that it probably is a result of the position on the OR table...It is very rare but we have all seen it..I have also seen this cause an accelerated flair up of someone's carpal tunnel too...It should get slowly better over time and a trip to a neurologist may help confirm that...

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Arm numbness after surgery

+1

I agree that your hand and arm numbness is not due to the surgery itself but to the positioning of the arm and pressure on the elbow.  Luckily this "bruise" to your nerve, termed neuropraxia is almost always temporary, but it can take upwards of 3 months to resolve.  No amount of therapy will speed up the recovery, but I would try to remain active as long as it does not cause too much discomfort.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after breast surgery

+1
It is possible that you were in a position during your surgery that placed unusual pressure or stretching on your nerves.  Most likely you have 'neuropraxia' and this should get better.  It can be up to 3 months.  A nerve study (EMG) may be beneficial if you don't see an improvement.
Sincerely,
Martin Jugenburg, MD, FRCSC

Martin Jugenburg, MD