I Will Be Having my Second Laser Hair Removal Session for my Upper Lip in a Little over a Week?

I have not done any sort of hair removal to the area for about 3 weeks, so hairs have been starting to grow back. I have an area of about 7-9 really dark, coarser hairs that are long. I have trimmed a few just to make it look a little better, but am so self conscious and embarrassed by this. Because the hairs are exposed, can I expect these hairs to fall out fairly immediately after the treatment (I believe my dermatologist uses IPL)? If not, can I do anything to remove these hairs afterwards?

+1

Usually laser hair removal should be done 4-6 weeks apart and most patients need 6-9 treatments to see full result on the area treated. You should only be shaving, no wax,tweeze, or threading the area so the hair follicle is just below the skin. 

+1

Great question,

I would suggest shaving the area in between session of your laser treatment (no tweezing or waxing), also make sure you are going to qualified provider who does many laser treatments a day, here at my office we usually dont see the patient back for another treatment for 4-8 weeks and most patients need 6-9 treatments to see full results on the area.. Best of luck

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Time between laser hair treatmen

+1

Thank you for you question. First, I am concerned that you are receiving laser treatments so close together. Treatments should be spaced out every 6 to 8 weeks. Also if you are getting laser hair you should be allowed to shave the area to avoid these embarrassing hairs that are bothering you between treatments. I suggest consulting with one or two facilities in your area ( if you live in Arizona come see us) and getting a second opinion on your options before proceding with treatments.

- Best wishes

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal Expectations

+1

Hi Nona.  We have a couple concerns.  The first is that you should not be having laser hair removal treatments one week apart.  The treatments should be 6-8 weeks apart to give hair the proper amount of time to grow in if it has been in a resting phase or if it fell out after the last treatment.  

The second issue is that you should not expect all the hair to "pop out" after laser treatment.  Although some of it will, it is not always expected that all the hair will fall out after treatment and your physician should have told you that you need to clip or shave the area in between treatments rather than plucking, waxing or pulling it out.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD