Can my Lap Band Slip Up Due to Increased Gas Pushing my Stomach Up?

I have had my lap band for 6 yrs and had no problems until now. The last three days I have not been able to eat anything except a little water and melted ice cream. I have had excess gas just recently and noticed how bloated my stomach was, could it have pushed up my lap band??? I can't add a photo as there is nothing to show now. Many thanks..

Excess Gas Cannot Cause Lap-Band Slip

+1

No this is not the normal mechanism.  Usually the band slips due to improper fixation at the time of surgery, or if the patient is eating too quickly or not chewing well enough.  This pattern of eating can lead to regular vomiting which can stretch up the pouch, leading to a condition that is similar to the band actually slipping.

Mississauga Bariatric Surgeon

Causes of difficulty swallowing after LapBAND

+1

Difficulty swallowing after gastric banding means that the band is either too tight or has slipped.  Bands slip down, not up, so your hypothesis is incorrect.  Sometimes bands get too tight because of irritation from vomiting or "upset stomach."  I would loosen your band to see if your symptoms improved.  If there is any question, you should have a barium swallow x-ray to check the position of the band.

Bloomfield Hills Bariatric Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.