My labia split pretty badly on Day 7 after Labiaplasty (wedge) . Will it really close up after the swelling goes down? (photo)

I'm on day 7 after my Labiaplasty (wedge) and my incision has split open. Yesterday it was small and I went to my doctor freaking out in pain and he said not to worry, it is not as big as it looks and it will heal back together. I can't call again until Tuesday, when the office is open. But today, it looks MUCH bigger. My whole labia is basically coming apart. No infection, but it's bleeding at an oozing level pretty steadily. I'm sitzing and icing, but I'm terrified of how big this wound is.

Labiaplasty split

+2
Unfortunately it looks as if your suture line came apart.  I would definitely recommend going back to your plastic surgeon to examine you and monitor your wound.  When it has completely healed, you will likely need to have it revised or re-sutured.  I'm sure your plastic surgeon would be happy to help you achieve your final healed result.

Wound separations can happen

+2

and the wounds often heal much better then you could even imagine.  Regardless, realize that revisions can always be done to improve or fix problems from the original procedure.  Suturing the wound at this point is destined for failure so allow yourself to heal and then discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  Any good surgeon will want the absolute best results for you and if they don't, find another surgeon and use social media to air your concerns.

Curtis Wong, MD

Labiaplasty revision in Los Angeles

+1
Close follow up and scar revision can help reduce the likelihood of permanent scarring after your labiaplasty procedure. Our office specializes in labiaplasty revision in Los Angeles. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

My labia split pretty badly on Day 7 after Labiaplasty (wedge) . Will it really close up after the swelling goes down?

+1
  Follow with your surgeon and allow the area to heal before a revision is considered.

Labiaplasty Complication

+1
Unfortunately your suture line has disrupted, this is a bad complication of the wedge technique. You will have to wait until everything heals and then have reconstructive surgery. Any attempt to fix it now is doomed to fail. This is the reason I stay away from this approach, safer methods are available. Good Luck!

Johan E. Brahme, MD

Labia split after wedge labiaplasty.

+1
As the inventor and medical author of the wedge technique, I have extensive experience in this procedure spanning 18 years.  No attempt to revise your split should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure.  Your appearance will improve and the split may be less.  At that time, a revision can be done.  Any attempt to fix it now will almost certainly fail. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. You need to control your anxiety and wait. 

Gary J. Alter, MD