Do I Need Labiaplasty to Ever Have Good Sex Again?

My labia minora is torne in the middle but still connected to both sides if that makes since (i dont think i was sone up right after giving birth) sex is very painful and i just now relized that this was the problem and my daughter is 10 months old!! do i need labiaplasty is this my only to choice to ever have good sex again?

No guarantee labiaplasty will improve your sex life

+3

Labiaplasty has become a very popular aesthetic and functional procedure in recent years.

Women relate to discomfort with exercise, sex and in certain clothing that comes with elongated labia minoras.

Repairing a torn labia minor will certainly improve the appearance and symmetry of one's external genitalia and possibly alleviate the discomfort from it, but a surgeon cannot guarantee that this will give you a good sex life. There could be other factors that contribute to the quality of sex that you experience.

See a surgeon

+1
Please consult an experienced board certified plastic surgeon to determine whether this surgery is suitable for you. Labiaplasty can repair tears, but you would have to get a physical examination to make sure.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Labiaplasty After Childbirth

+1
This type of injury can be fixed with a small surgical procedure. As you stated time has passed so it is a little different than it would be at the time of the injury but can still be easily accomplished and treated with good results.

It is difficult to talk about your particular situation without a picture but in general the injury that you describe can be fixed with excising the healed edges of the torn labia to create a fresh new edge. Once this new edge has been created the labial can be reset to match the contralateral labia.

With all of this said there is no guarantee that the labiaplasty will improve your sex life. It typically gets better as patients usually have pain where the scar tissue has formed around the torn edges that healed over time by forming scar tissue. This scar tissue is excised and the labia repaired.

This procedure can be done under local anesthesia or with sedation depending on the extent of the injury and the individual patient.

I would recommend that you consult your board certified plastic surgeon so that you can be evaluated and discuss your options.

Johnny Franco, MD

Labiaplasty and sexual function

+1
It sounds if you had trauma during delivery of your baby girl, and this was not repaired, then there is a reasonable chance that this may alleviate some of the pain during intercourse.  A better estimate can be given on the chance of this happening with a physical exam. An exam can also determine how much scar tissue you have. The type of surgery to repair this will also depend on the exam.  By 10 months, a lot of your scar tissue should have softened. This would be a reasonable time frame to consider a repair of a laceration or cut to your labia.  I would seek a board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced with labioplasty for an exam.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Torn labia minora interfering with intercourse

+1

Patients with torn or irregular labia minora may experience discomfort during sexual intercourse. These patients may be candidates for a labiaplasty. Labiaplasty is a surgical technique to reduce the amount of skin and mucosal tissue in the labia of a female patient. This is performed to rejuvenate the appearance of the labia and to improve the patient's comfort.
This procedure can help remove the tissue that is interfering with intercourse and make the process more comfortable for you. Keep in mind that patients should abstain from sexual activity for six weeks after the surgery to allow the tissue to heal properly.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Painful intercourse

+1

Dyspareunia or painful intercourse is a wide topic and has many etiologies. You should be fully evaluated by a good GYN for Dyspareunia. If ti is deemed that the cause is the torn labia then it can be reapaired very easy. BUT IT MAY NOT RELIEVE YOU OF PAIN. In fact, surgery MAY CAUSE PAIN.

Labiaplasty and pain with intercourse following pregnancy or tears.

+1

SEE VIDEO BELOW:

Sex with intercourse is termed Dyspareunia. There are many different causes for this condition and torn labia is only one potential cause. I have observed this when the wound has healed improperly with an unstable scar. However, there are multiple other treatable causes as well as pyschological sources for the discomfort or pain. These should be thoroughly evaluated prior to undergoing labiaplasty. In larger cities, certain physicians even specialize in the treatment of pelvic pain. Labiaplasty helps to close an open wound or unstable scar or to reduce large labia which may prolapse into the vagina or become irritated or inflamed when poor lubircation occurs.

You need to be carefully evaluated first.

+1

The rare case in which the patient has pain before surgery needs to be carefully evaluated before surgery is performed. Labiaplasty commonly helps reduce discomfort or embarrassment resulting from oversized or irregular labial lips, but is not a routine correction for pain. The source/reason for your pain must first be found before labiaplasty can be recommended.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty and correction of labia tears and oversized labia minora

+1

The labia minora are subject to traumatic disruption and tearing with labor or intimacy.  Patients with enlarged or lengthened labia can benefit from an in office procedure to reduce labial size and protrusion. The procedure is safe and can be performed in an office setting with minimal anesthesia.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Labiaplasty for torn labia minora

+1

Thanks for the question -

Childbirth can be a significant cause of labial deformity. Labiaplasty can be an effective way to correct traumatic deformity. It can improve some sources of discomfort but only a complete evaluation will be able to answer these questions.

Seek a board certified plastic surgeon.

Steven H. Williams, MD