Will my Insurance Pay for my Tummy Tuck?

No

+1

There are two types

Pannulectomy, which is removal of just the saggy tissue that hangs below the groin. It has its own billing code, or CPT. It is just amputation of the excess skin without shaping.

Abdominoplasty which involves excess skin removal, liposuction, tightening the abdominal wall, some shaping.

Abdominoplasty is cosmetic.

With a lot of loose skin ( a rule of thumb is the pannus or skin hangs below the genitals) and documentation of rashes, and other health problems a  few insurance companies will cover pannulectomy.

Davenport Plastic Surgeon

Will my insurance Pay for my Tummy Tuck?

+1

First of all thank you for the question.  In general, insurance typically does not pay for a tummy tuck because it is considered a cosmetic surgery.  I would recommend checking with your insurance company for verification. Best of luck to you.

Heather Rocheford, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

+1

This is a good question for Kathleen Sebelius at the Department of Health and Human Services, or perhaps for President Obama.  Not sure whether or not the Affordable Care Act includes provisions for tummy tuck surgery.  I heard it is 2300 pages long, there must be some circumstance or situation upon which tummy tuck would be a covered benefit.  Maybe it depends on the State you live in?

Steve Laverson, MD

Medical insurance & Tummy tucks

+1

None of the cosmetic surgeries are covered by any medical insurance no matter how heavy the premium. In patients who are undergoing a tummy tuck and present with an umbilical hernia (documented on USG), some companies might agree to pay a part of the costs for the umbilical hernia repair. The rest of the costs have to be borne by you.

Sameer Karkhanis, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Does insurance cover tummy tucks.

+1

Tummy tucks are not covered. If you have a large amount of hanging skin, a panniculectomy may be covered but this just removes the hanging skin, nothing more. 

Brian Dorner, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

+1

Cosmetic surgery is NEVER health insurance covered. If you and the surgeon desire to commit "fraud" than that is another issue! 

Insurance coverage for tummy tuck?

+1

Nope.

Even if you have an umbilical hernia or other abdominal wall hernia, only the hernia portion of the procedure (including the anesthesia and OR) are "covered." The rest of the "cosmetic" or elective procedure is done on your nickel, and at the (much higher) hospital rates. Most plastic surgeons will repair incidental hernia(s) at the time of cosmetic tummy tuck anyway, usually at no additional cost, or for what insurance will pay. The cosmetic portion of the operation is your responsibility pretty much any way you ask the question.

Cost for a tummy tuck depends somewhat on the severity, laxity, and amount of loose skin (and if liposuction is added), but will be around $9000 in our AAAASF-accredited in-office surgical facility. This includes professional fee, anesthesia, OR, garments, and all post-op care. You would need to obtain a pre-op physical and purchase your prescription medications if not covered otherwise. Re-operation or touch-up surgery (if necessary or advisable) is done at (minimal) OR and anesthesia costs only--no additional surgeon's fee.

Sorry, but anyone who tells you otherwise is being unethical. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Insurance will not cover a tummy tuck.

+1

Ask your insurer, but it is rare that an insurance company would cover cosmetic surgery.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Insurance does not pay for tummy tucks

+1

No, your insurance company will not pay for a tummy tuck as this is a cosmetic procedure.

Mark Deutsch, MD

+1

Insurance will not pay for a cosmetic procedure like a tummy tuck.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA