Will my insurance partially cover my nose job?

When I was 12 I was involved in a hit & run by a drunk driver. In the accident I had broken was my nose. Around a 9 months after my accident I went to speak with a surgeon about a rhinoplasty & he had told me my nose was still swollen & that I should wait until I am an adult to get surgery since im still going though changes. I am now 20 years old & very unhappy. The bump is obviously & the bridge of my nose is slightly off center. Would my insurance cover part of the procedure?

+1

Depending on your insurance company, they will likely cover some or all of the functional portion of your surgery. Any cosmetic changes are not covered and will be billed separately. In some instances, a cosmetic change may be covered only if it helps improve your breathing. I would recommend seeking the advice of a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. He or she will be able to evaluate your nose in person and provide you with advice. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.rhinoplastyspecialist.com

+1

Anything on the external aspect of your nose will be considered cosmetic and will not be covered by insurance.

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

Rhinoplasty for broken nose

+1

A rhinoplasty procedure to change the shape of the nose is considered cosmetic in not paid for by insurance. A nasal fracture or a deviated septum that is blocking airflow through the nose can be submitted to insurance for medical necessity. Patient's still have to pay the co-pays and deductibles as per of their responsibility

Insurance coverage for rhinoplasty surgery

+1

Sorry you had to endure such an injury, and hope you'll be able to find the right surgeon for you.

Rhinoplasty, like all plastic surgery, is cosmetic and reconstructive. Insurance may provide coverage for patients who have a nasal deformity from injury or for patients for have chronic nasal congestion despite medical treatment. If your procedure is medically indicated, some portion of the cost may be covered. However, each insurance provider coverage varies. Some insurance companies require photographs and/or CT scan before considering possible coverage. It's best to speak with a rhinoplasty surgeon to first help determine what surgery is required and discuss options, then contact your insurance provider.

Best

Dr. Chaboki

Web reference: http://www.potomacplasticsurgery.com/resources/financing.cfm

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Broken Nose and Insurance

+1

Insurance companies will usually cover the components of the nasal surgery that effect your breathing. A full examination of both the internal and external nasal structures is necessary. If your bump is not interfering with your breathing then the insurance company will most likely not cover the correction of the bump even though it was due to a car accident.

+1

This depends upon your specific carrier and policy. Further, you need to consider your insurance deductible. This is dictated by your insurance policy. Assuming you've met your deductible and your insurance approves the surgery, they typically cover the portion related to breathing impairment or a nasal fracture. Given the distance between your injury and the planned surgery it is possible that you might have to appeal to your insurance carrier to cover the procedure but it is worth a try. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/functional-rhinoplasty/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

With your medical history it is possible you will have some insurance coverage if you have documentation. The only way to find out is to visit a surgeon and have his office contact your carrier.

Broken nose is usually covered by insurance.

+1

Broken nose is usually covered by insurance to straighten the nose inside and out. Other cosmetic parts r not covered.

Insurance and Rhinoplasty

+1

Most insurance plans will cover the portion of the procedure that is functional. (e.g. related to breathing). The portion of the procedure that is cosmetic, (i.e. the bump) is typically not covered; however, there is occasionally some overlap. In other words, sometimes maneuvers used to improve function such as spreader grafts, can have a positive impact on the aesthetics as well. Best of luck.

Insurance can cover nasal surgery if there is a breathing component

+1

Some insurances do cover part or all of a nasal procedure. However, this is usually in the setting of breathing problems that are not helped with medical management (nasal steroid sprays, antihistamines, etc.).