Will my Insurance Cover a Tummy Tuck Revision Above my Belly Button

large bulge above the waist..15 years ago had a tummy tuck. I should get a mri and see my doctor..I also have diverticulosis

Insurance coverage for TT

+1

Insurance coverage cannot be used for cosmetic surgery. Most insurance policies explicitly state that. Moreover, many do do even cover revisions unless they are of detriment to your health and not caused by cosmetic surgery. Its a gray area and I would not expect any help from the insurance companies unless your doctor detects a true medical condition.

Insurance will not cover for TT revision.

+1

Unless you have hernia, your insurance company will not cover for the TT revision.  The bulge may be due to stretched out muscle, excess fat, or hernia.  Physical examination with/without radiographic studies will demonstrate whether you have a hernia or not.  Without a hernia, a bulge above the belly button is not deemed medically necessary to be covered by insurance.

Sugene Kim, MD

Insurance coverage for tummy tuck revision

+1

Thank you for the question. In general, insurance companies do not cover revision tummy tucks. It would difficult to comment on the large bulge without a formal examination.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Will my Insurance Cover a Tummy Tuck Revision?

+1

If the bulge is a true hernia, you should expect coverage for the hernia repair, but not for revision of the TT.  The usual imaging study for an abdominal wall hernia is a CT scan, which may be appropriate if your doctor feels you have a hernia that warrants surgical repair. 

Depending upon where you live, if you do have a hernia years after a tummy tuck, you may well be better off seeing a general surgeon with expertise in hernia repair.

Revision of Tummy Tuck is always a cosmetic operation

+1

Hi there-

Unless the bulge you are describing can be proven to be a true hernia, revision of your tummy tuck surgery would always be considered a cosmetic procedure and would not be covered under any insurance plan.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Revision Tummy Tuck and Insurance Coverage?

+1

Although not possible to give you precise advice without direct examination, there is nothing in your description that  sounds “medically necessary”. Direct communication with your insurance company may be more helpful to you.

Insurance coverage

+1

Insurance will not cover any procedures for cosmetic contouring of your abdomen.  If your bulge is an abdominal wall hernia, then insurance companies will likely cover just the hernia repair. 

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS