Will my Insurance Cover a Breast Lift if It Affects my Posture?

I'm 20 years old and a 38 C, my boobs have been droopy pretty much since puberty. I don't want a huge reduction but a lift. I have back and posture problems which could be a result of hunching forward so much. I was just wondering if my insurance would cover some of the cost since they do cause a little pain. Also, how much scaring is typical? I'm a little concerned since I already have stretch marks there.

Breast Lifting and Insurance Coverage?

+1

Based on your description, despite having symptoms of back discomfort and postural problems, it is very unlikely that any health insurance would cover breast lift surgery.

You are wise to consider the presence of scars  when you consider  undergoing breast lifting surgery.Breast lifting involves some degree of tightening and lifting the breast skin envelope.  In order to tighten the skin envelope, skin excision is necessary;  this results in the presence of scars. 

Sometimes, the presence of scars is a “dealbreaker”;  patients would prefer to leave their breasts unchanged than to have scars. At other times, patients  prefer to have the improvement in breast position, shape, and (possibly) size  and are willing to accept the trade-off of scars.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastLift.htm

Insurance coverage for breast lift is unlikely

+1

Often the question from insurance is not posture and back pain, but how much breast tissue must be removed to relieve symptoms. The amount is compared to body weight, so insurance coverage for a lift alone is very unlikely, and the CPT diagnosis will certainly cause a red flag on their end.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/breast-lift

Hello

+1

Most insurance will not cover for a lift some insurances do cover a reduction, but it sounds that you don’t want that. A lift will help with the droopiness a possible vertical lift or anchor lift.

Breast lift

+1

I have not heard of breast lift being covered by insurance unless we are talking about a significan breast reduction which has caused severe back problems and other related issues

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

No

+1

Breast lifts are cosmetic. Stand up straight and that will improve your posture. Insurance does not cover breast lifts, unless you do a significant reduction with it.

Web reference: http://www.wrmd.com

+1

If your breast are a c-cup in size, there is little chance that any insurer will cover your operation. We don't know your height and weight, but is is likely that the minimum resection a carrier would require for coverage may be more breast tissue than you have. They will feel (and probably be correct) that your posture and back pain issues are not related to your breast size. 

The amount of scar is significant, and therefore there must be enough improvement to justify those scars. A consult with a plastic surgeon will provide you with the info you need to come to a decision.

Insurance Does Not Cover Breast Lifts

+1

Insurance does not cover breast lifts, they only cover breast reduction, based on weight removed.  Since you are a size C, you certainly would not qualify for a breast reduction.  I recommend you consider The Ultimate Breast Lift which will transfer the weight of your breasts to the underlying muscles and will relieve your back pain without weight removed.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Web reference: http://www.fastcodesign.com/1663319/how-one-surgeon-is-reinventing-the-female-breast-sfw

Texas Plastic Surgeon