Do I Need to Have my Inframammary Line Lowered in Order to Center an Implant Correctly? (photo)

I had a breast reduction 15 years ago. I have had 2 children and lost weight since and now am looking for an augmentation. I have seen 2 surgeons. The 1st indicates that he would be comfortable doing a 250cc augmentation. 2nd said he would have to lower my inframammary line in order to center the implant correctly behind the areola- exposing my pre-existing scars, but he said I could do a bigger implant (400cc range). I don't want my scars to show, but I don't want ill placed implants.

Do I Need to Have my Inframammary Line Lowered in Order to Center an Implant Correctly?

Your inframammary fold would not need to be lowered as long as you stay away from large implants. Even a conservative augmentation will provide some fullness to the upper pole, which often empties in the years after breast reduction. Good luck!

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

301 Columbia St East
New Westminster, BC V3L 3W5

Lowering brest fold in augmentation?

Without seeing you in person, I can n ot say what implant is best. However, in general, I do not like lowering the breast fold. It is for the rare case that I would do it.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Augmentation after Reduction

You are thin, so it would be unwise to lower the fold.  In essence, this would be placing the implant so low that the thin skin under your inframammary scar would be covering the bottom of your implant - not good. I think that the surgeon limiting size is giving you sound advice. However, I would want him to use intraoperative sizers, as perhaps a slightly larger implant might be accommodated well by your breasts, possibly 275 cc or 300 cc.  I think you will be very pleased with that enhancement, and your breasts should look really great in shape too.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

120 South Spalding Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Improving lower breast appearance

I would not try to lower the line. You look very good considering the length of time and having children etc. If you want to improve the shape of the breast a simple implant should fill out the lower pole. The crease will be in the same place but the implant will sit lower and the lower pole will appear fuller. Overall the shape will improve. You can choose the correct implant to determine size. 250 seems about right. Good luck.

John Alexander II, MD

9339 Genesee Ave
San Diego, CA 92121

Lowering the Inframammary crease to accommodate a large implant

Lowering or dropping your inframammary fold as one of your consultants suggests will expose the scars running parallel to your existing folds or "lines." It may also cause some unwanted long term problems such as implant malpositioning and bottoming out. I recommend a conservative approach to hopefully prevent potential complications down the road. Thank you for sharing your question and photo. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

3998 Vista Way
Oceanside, CA 92056

400 cc would be way too big for your frame

I would stay away from large implants.  I agree that a implant in the 250 cc range would fill you out nicely without having to mess around a lot with your inframammary fold.    400 cc is just to big for your thin frame and do you really want to go back to having really large breasts?  Remember why you had a reduction in the first place. 

By the way, your breasts have held up beautifully given your childbearing and weight loss.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

1101 Madison Street
Seattle, WA 98104-3508