Is my Incision Supposed to Look Like This?

I had surgery 12/16/11. I am so disappointed and depressed over my results. The right eye retracted but has come back some. My left eye incision appears to have gone awry. Also, the lower left eyelid swelling is not going away. That incision can't be normal. Please help.

Postoperative blepharoplasty

+2

It is too early to make any decisions about how you are doing.  Don't get depressed about where you are at this time.  Your incisions are still red and swollen, but this should change over the next several weeks and months.  Trust the advice that was given to you  by your Plastic Surgeon.  Continue to follow whatever recommendations are given to you.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Incision Problems.

+2

Eyelid incisions can be difficult to heal in some patients.  It looks like your left eyelid is retracted some from the actual eye.  This is called an ectropion.  This will often improve with time and massage.  The key is to keep your eye moist and lubricated while the eyelid finishes healing.  Make sure you follow the instructions your plastic surgeon gives you.  It may be beneficial to try taping your eyelids at night to make sure your eye doesn’t dry out while you are sleeping.  Thanks, Dr. Kerr

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Late in the game.

+1

I just realized that you posted this 2 months ago....If things haven't settled to your satisfaction, now is a good time to repost photos.

Hope you are doing well.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower Eyelid Incision

+1

Reviewing your photographs shows that you are in the early postoperative phase.  There is some retraction of the left lower eyelid.  There may also be some chemosis (fluid collection under the lining of the eye) in the lower outer corner of the eye.  You may benefit from a Frost suture (a suture placed from the lower eyelid that is taped to the forehead) or a temporary tarsorrhaphy suture ( where the outer corners of the eyelids are sutured together).  You may also need some steroid eye drops.  Please follow up with your surgeon for follow up of these issues. 

Michael Sundine, MD

Check back with your surgeon if you have concerns about your blepharoplasty

+1

I recommend that you check back with your surgeon if you have concerns about the results of your eyelid surgery.  If you are not satisfied with answers you receive, seek a second opinion.    It appears that you are still in the early healing phase after your surgery.  It will take some time to see the final results, so don't judge too quickly.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty care after surgery

+1

You are very swollen and a bit more than one would expect for more than a week out from surgery. Did you apply cold compresses right after surgery? Have you kept your head elevated at all times since surgery and slept on 2 pillows? Swelling itself especially if prolonged can cause problems that would otherwise not have occurred after surgery. You need to speak with your surgeon to go over methods to decrease this swelling more rapidly including massage and possibly medications. With the appropriate care after surgery you could still have a good or even optimal result once the swelling resolves.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Lower eyelid retraction after blepharoplasty

+1

It is possible that your lower eyelids can return to normal position over the next weeks/months, but it is possible they may not completely do that. Time will tell. You should wait 6 months before any further surgery. In the meantime, use frequent eye lubrication and see an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Concern about incisions

+1

Thank you for your photos. It is very common to have some ectropion initially after blepharoplasty. Massage of the incisions and waiting for the edema to subside usually helps. See your plastic surgeon if you are concerned.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Incision?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Although your concern is understandable, it is much too early to be concerned about the appearance of the incision line or eyelid area. You may be amazed how much these appearances improve over time.

I would suggest continued close follow-up with your plastic surgeon and communication of your questions/concerns.

Disappointing lower eyelid incision

+1

Lower lids usually heal quickly and then will stay pink on the outside edge for several weeks. If the incision follows the lash line closely, it will do very well. If "off'' a bit, the chances are good that the incision will flatten and smooth in without the need for revision. The tightness or ectropian is more worrisome and your surgeon might recommend massages at this time.

peterejohnsonmd.com