Why Are my Incision Sites Still Hard and Sore After 8 Weeks?

I had labiaplasty revision 8 weeks ago. Skin was taken off the lower part of the clitoral hood, and near the perineal area where the labia minora join at the bottom. Chromic surgical gut dissolvable stitches were used. The areas that were stitched are still firm and sore. Especially sore when touched. Will the firmness and soreness ever get better or is this now permanent firm scar tissue caused by the sutures??

Labiaplasty swelling and hardness

+1

Swelling and induration of your labiaplasty incision line may take weeks to months to resolve. I ask my patients to begin gentle massage once the sutures are removed to minimize swelling. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

8 weeks status post labiaplasty - pain and incision firmness?

+1

Pain and firmness can last for 4-6 months. I recommend patience. If your concerns persist past this time, I would recommend you follow up with your surgeon. 

Jennifer Harrington MD

Jennifer Harrington, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Soreness after labiaplasty

+1

Hi Brandy. It can take 4-6 months after labiaplasty for all the firmness, soreness, and swelling to go away. Sometimes gentle massage can help. Make sure you keep all of your follow up appointments with your plastic surgeon.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty incision sites

+1

It can take up to 4-6 months for the hardness and soreness to go away.  You should talk to your doctor. If it persists after that time, you may need a cortisone cream and possibly a revision. However, a revision is more difficult than the first labiaplasty, so you need a surgeon who is very experienced in revision labiaplasties.  I published the only major paper on revision surgery for labiaplasties in the prestigious plastic surgery journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery"

Gary J. Alter, MD

Firm Incisions are Normal

+1

Firm and tender incisions are to be expected following surgery.  Once the sutures are gone, your body is held together by the new scar tissue that matures, or changes, over many months.  While it is maturing, it will go from firm and red to soft and pale.  Your labiaplasty incisions are in a tender area, so they will be uncomfortable for some time.  Let your doctor take a look to be sure all is well.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Labiaplasty

+1

First, bring this to the attention of your plastic surgeon.  The firmness and soreness may be normal healing.  The human body heals all surgery by scar tissue formation.  Usually the body forms excess scar tissue that peaks approximately 2-3 months after surgery and then decreases  by 6-12 months after surgery.  It is common for cut nerve endings to be trapped in this excess scar.  Usually, as the scar tissue decreases the nerve endings become less trapped and the soreness resolves.  

Richard P. Glunk, MD, FACS

Richard P. Glunk, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Why Are my Incision Sites Still Hard and Sore After 8 Weeks

+1

Indurated or hardened areas after surgery soften over a several month period.   The tenderness should improve as well.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA