Is my Incision Normal? Too High? (photo)

I am 2 weeks post op and at my check-up yesterday I told my PS that I am disappointed at the height of the incision. I asked what he could do about it and why it was higher than the line of the panties. He told me that tissue with more fat does not stretch as much as tissue with more fat. This is a tension operation and also that I have to adapt my clothes. I am about 5'8 and 140 lbs and had very little fat (if any!) above the BB! Please advise. Is this as bad as I think it is? Thank you!

High tummy tuck scars

+1

cannot be hidden as your are already experiencing.  Your scar is way higher than normal and you should ask your surgeon WHY he placed your scar where it was and WHY he didn't give you options for where to place it.  Most surgeons have patients bring in some swimsuit bottom so the attempts to keep the scar under it can be done.  Your surgeon should be explaining WHY your scar is as it is.  Perhaps there is a legitimate reason for it. 

If you had a panniculectomy that was covered by insurance, I think you have a wonderful result as you do not get to pick the location of the scar when trying to simply remove an apron of skin.

High Tummy Tuck Incision

+1

By most tummy tuck standards, that is a very high incision. But for now there is nothing to do but let it heal and await for tissue relaxation and some skin stretch. It may be possible to lower it a bit in another year or two.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Is my Incision Normal? Too High

+1

Are you sure your surgeon was a board certified plastic surgeon? Yes very highly place incision. Very few options to correct Sorry. 

Incision too high for abdominoplasty??

+1

From your pics, the incision does appear high.  I think that it is important to have a thorough discussion with your board certified plastic surgeon regarding scars placement. I normally draw the incisions on the patient before the surgery so that they could visualize where the scars will be. In your case, the incision could be brought lower in 6 months once the residual skin has regained some laxity. Good Luck.

Mytien Goldberg, MD

Tummy tuck incision too high?

+1

As a general rule, I try to place all of my tummy tuck incisions as low in the bikini line as possible.  Your surgeon may have had too place it higher because of a lack of stretch to your skin.  If it is too high, it may be possible to revise and lower it at 6 months post-op when some of the skin stretch has returned.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Is my Incision Normal? Too High?

+1

A pre-op photo would help in evaluating a post-op result. I obviously don't know what was discussed between you and your surgeon before surgery, and although there are things that happen during surgery that may force a change of plans, scar position is one  thing that is usually reviewed with the patient before surgery. There are ways of keeping the initial incision low, though they do involve trade-offs. 

One option is a "mini" TT, or lower abdominoplasty, where nothing is done to the upper abdominal skin. That works in patients with little or no excess above the navel, and no need for muscle repair above the navel.

The other involves management of the navel in an otherwise full TT. Sometimes the navel can be lowered a bit, other times the scar from incising around the navel is sutured leaving a vertical scar in the lower abdomen, but the main incision is still low.

Thanks for your question, consider posting a pre-op photo. All the best.