Having my Implants Removed Due to Hardening, Grade 3. is It Safe to Leave the Scar Tissue in Situ?

my surgeon states its safe to leave in the scar tissue but recommends a capsulectomy. am worried has i only had small breasts previos to the implants. is removing the scare tissue necessary.

Capsule Removal with Implant Removal with Capsular Contracture

+1

If there are calcific components or silicone granulomatous material or if the capsule is deforming the breast tissue then removal of the capsule may be warranted.  In soft pliable capsules they can be left intact.

Capsule

+1

I would recommend that as much capsule or scar that can be safely removed to be removed at the time of surgery.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation

+1

When scar tissue contracts it will tighten around the implant and make your breast feel hard.  Removing the implants will obviously soften the breast but the scar tissue remains.  I usually will remove some scar tissue dependent upon its appearance, thickness, location, etc.  If you are going to re-insert new implants then some scar tissue removal and redesign of the pocket is usually required.  If you are not replacing implants, then I usually conservatively remove some of the scar tissue so as to encourage healing of the empty pocket and avoid postop fluid collections called seromas.  I hope this information is helpful.

Ronald H. Stefani Jr, MD

Breast Implant Removal and Breast Implant Capsule?

+1

Although I cannot provide you with specific advice, I generally would agree with your plastic surgeon's recommendations for patients in your situation.

Implant removal and capsule

+1

I think that i just answered this question, but usually you remove the capsule at the same time as removing the implants.