Are my Implants Becoming Too Lateral? (Photo)

I am 31 years old and had a lift with breast implants 3 months ago. I was a 32/34 A cup and recieved moderate plus saline, 375 cc in the right breast and 400cc in the left. My implants seem to lateral and rounded to the side. My right breast seems larger even though it got a smaller implant. I imagine that they would be muh perker and yield more cleavage. They just seem too far apart. Is there anything that can be done or are they healing correctly?

Breast Implants Too Far Lateral?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Assuming your breast implants do not “fall to the side” when you lie down, then I think your breast implants are in good position. The nipple/areola complexes seem to be centered nicely on the breast mounds. If your breast implants were positioned too far laterally, the nipple/areola complexes would also seem off centered.

Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you after direct examination.

Breast asymmetry

+1

Thank you for the question and photos. Your result looks good and your implants look to be in good position. They improved quite nicely between 6 and 12 weeks. There was significant asymmetry before surgery, so there may still be asymmetry after surgery no matter what was done.  In general, implants do not create cleavage if it was not there before surgery. It is still very early in the healing process at 12 weeks. I would not expect the final result for 6-12 months. Be patient and discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Good luck.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Implant position can affect cleavage

+1

The location of the implant will impact how "perky" and how much cleavage you have.  As you push your implant higher and more towards the middle I suspect this creates more of the look that you are looking for.  To keep the implants in this higher position the breast pocket will have to be tightened at the bottom and at the side.  In addition the breast lift would have to be tightened and lifted to match the new position of the implants.  Below is a before and after photo attached of a patient of mine who underwent this procedure.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Breast asymmetry

+1

Your results are pretty good and your implants look to be in good position. They settled quite nicely between 6 and 12 weeks. There was significant asymmetry before surgery so there will always be asymmetry after surgery not matter what is done and no matter who does it. About the only thing to do improve the result further is put a larger implant in the left but am not sure it is worth the increased risk of capsular contracture that that would create. Implants do not create cleavage if it was not there before surgery. They create symmastia though if the surgeon tries to create cleavage by placing the implants closer together.

Round on the sides is much more preferable to flattened as can be seen with capsular contracture. If the left side continues to get smaller over time you may have a slow leak of saline from it. But given that the left was also smaller than right at 6 weeks that is less likely.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Lateral Breast Implant Solution

+1

Hello. The shifting experienced is a normal part of the healing process after Breast Augmentation. There is no need to worry prematurely as the breasts will continue to change for 9-10 months. If the issue is not resolved by then you may consider fat grafting to make the desired changes.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Are my Implants Becoming Too Lateral?

+1

Great posted photos, before and 2 afters! Yes you have a slight lateral displacement but in the scheme of things is it worth additional surgery to obtain more cleavage?? I think your result is very good. 

Breast Implants post op

+1

Be sure to follow up with your surgeon regarding your questions.  Every patient is different.  According to your photos, the breast implants seem to be placed behind the breast mounds and nipples.  Best of luck in the healing process.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD