Are my Implants Just Healing Very Slow? (photo)

i was asymmetrical before surgery ( right was bigger) I got 720 ccs teardrop saline unders 4 weeks ago. my left breast is looking good, but my right breast is not! the implant is still high, nipple lower and breast tissue at the bottom where as my left breast is completely filled out by the implant. I am doing the massaging my ps said to. he says that because i went so big on my frame(i am a size 2)they take longer to heal but im still nervous.something wrong? or is my right just healing slow/

Concerns about Breast Symmetry after Breast Augmentation?

+4

Although your concerns are understandable,  I would suggest that you continue to exercise patience and allow for approximate 6 months to pass before evaluating the and results of the procedure performed. Your plastic surgeon may have recommendations such as massage or displacement exercises and/or the use of a bandeau,  to help the higher breast implant “settle”.
Generally speaking (for the benefit of other ladies considering breast surgery), patients undergoing breast surgery should understand that some degree of breast asymmetry is the rule, not the exception immediately after surgery and longer-term as well. In other words,  helping patients achieve realistic expectations in regard to symmetry after breast augmentation is an important part of the preoperative “teaching”.  Patients who are seeking absolute symmetry and/or “perfection” should not undergo breast surgery.

Wait A Little Longer For Breast Implant Results

+3
As your body accommodates to your new implants, you’ll notice that your breasts will gradually look more and more natural in something called "dropping and fluffing". Over the course of about three to four months, your body creates new skin to accommodate the additional volume of your implants. This natural process is called “tissue expansion”, and relieves the tightness you may be experiencing. It allows for the implants to settle more into a better position with the help of gravity. A gradual redistribution of volume from the upper to the lower breast occurs, resulting in an enlargement and rounding out of the lower breast.

Although it's often called "dropping", it is more like "redistribution". The "fluffing" part refers to the impression that the lower breast enlarges and that your skin softens with the creation of new tissues. The extent to which this occurs depends on several factors, including the implant size, the tightness of your skin, and your body shape.

Please wait for a couple of more months before you become concerned with your results. The size of your implants may also affect your recovery rate. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Slow healing implants

+1

Four weeks post surgery is too early to comment on the result that yuo can expect in the longer run

I agree that there is a difference between the left and right sides, and we all hope that this settles with time.  Now is not the time though to assess the differences and assume there is a problem

Give it time and stick to yuor surgeons post operative instructions

Jeremy  Hunt

Jeremy Hunt, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Not uncommon

+1

Minor asymmetries before surgery frequently lead to differing rates of healing after surgery.  The left implant being the larger implant is heavier and may settle faster than the right.  I support post operative bands to help keep implants relatively even in the post operative period.  Depending on the implant, I also recommending massage maneuvers to help the implant shift.  I would contact your surgeon and express your concerns and certainly be patient for your final result.  It takes times and your result will be quite different 6-12 months after surgery.

Marguerite E. Aitken, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Implants and dropping

+1

Yes, your left one is coming down and the right one is still a bit high.   Give it more time to settle.  Good luck.

Slow Healing?

+1

Unfortunately it is impossible to answer your question, but it is unlikely that it has to do with 'slow healing'.  Currently your right breast implant is sitting higher than the left, which is contributing to the pre-surgical lower position of the breast tissue and nipple on the right.  It is entirely possible that things will improve, but at 4 weeks an asymmetry like this usually doesn't completely correct.

I don't think you should have expected a symmetrical result if you were asymmetrical before surgery (size and shape difference), and you opted out of a breast lift.  Nor should you have expect 'perky' breasts with extra large implants; no matter how big the implants, your nipples will remain low on the breast mound afterward.

It is still early, and your saline implants will be pounding away at your tissues over the next few months (water hammer effect), changing your breasts' appearance, and unfortunately thinning and stretching your tissues.  You should re-assess at 6 months and then determine if you would like a revision surgery to address any issues you might have.

Best of luck.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Are my Implants Just Healing Very Slow

+1

I don't see anything that would make me think these are healing slowly. 

I do see some asymmetry, which apparently you had before surgery. Even in patients who were quite even before surgery it is not uncommon to see asymmetry for the first 3 to 6 months until the implants settle and the pectoral muscles relax to accommodate them. 

It does look like you might want to consider a breast lift at some point in the future. Posting pre-op photos would be helpful in evaluating the results. All the best.