Will my implants fluff out more at 4 weeks? (photo)

Hi! I got 390cc HP silicone gel unders about 4 weeks ago, I did a quick measurement on myself to determine how big I am right now (cup size) it came back as 10DD (Australian size) so my question is will my implants fluff out more because I would like them to be a little bigger, I do still need to drop a little bit, could that also affect what size I'll end up being? Thank you :-)

You breast will change little more over time

+1
At 4 weeks you still don't see full final results.  Your breasts will continue to change a little (not a lot) over the next 3-4 months.  However, when it comes to cup size, because most of the swelling is gone, I would not expect much of a change in your volume, just change in shape and position of your implants

Wait three to four months then discuss with your surgeon

+1
When breast implants are first put into your body, they typically sit higher up in the chest. This is because it’s the path of least resistance – your body requires some time to adjust to their presence, regardless of whether they’ve been placed in a sub-mammary (between breast tissue and chest muscle) or dual plane (under both the breast and chest muscle). Immediately following surgery, you’ll find that your newly enhanced breasts appear very full and swollen, especially in the upper portion above the nipples. Your skin will most likely look very tight and your nipples may point slightly downward as well. This is what is happening to you based on your photos.

As you progress in your recovery, they will change for the better, something casually known as “dropping and fluffing”. As your body accommodates to your new implants, you’ll notice that your breasts will gradually look more and more natural – the way you hoped they’d be! Over the course of about three to four months, your body creates new skin to accommodate the additional volume of your implants. This natural process is called “tissue expansion”, and relieves the tightness you may be experiencing. It allows for the implants to settle more into a better position with the help of gravity. A gradual redistribution of volume from the upper to the lower breast occurs, resulting in an enlargement and rounding out of the lower breast.

Although it's often called "dropping", it is more like "redistribution". The "fluffing" part refers to the impression that the lower breast enlarges and that your skin softens with the creation of new tissues. The extent to which this occurs depends on several factors, including the implant size, the tightness of your skin, and your body shape.

For this reason, I suggest you wait until about three to four months after surgery before assessing your results.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Implant size

+1
Thank you for your breast implant question.

• As time goes by, your implants will settle lower on your chest wall,
  • The position will look more natural,
  • The size will not increase but as the muscle relaxes there will be more lower show of the implant.
  • Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Breast implant changes after surgery

+1
Thank you for your question.  Yes, there will still be changes up to several months out from surgery.  As the tissues relax and the implants settle from the effects of gravity, you will get more projection in the lower part of the breast.  What ultimately determines cup size is the projection of the breast off the chest wall at the level of the nipple.  Thus, you may ultimately get a little more "fluff" out of the lower aspect of the breast as things settle.  

Best of luck.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants will continue to adjust or "fluff" for the first 3 months after augmentation

+1
Thank you for your question.  The answer is yes, 4 weeks is very early after breast augmentation beneath the chest muscle.  Your implants will definitely changed shape over the next 2 months and as they drop beneath the nipple areola they often will look larger.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Implants to get bigger?

+1
Thank you for your picture.  It is unlikely that your implants will become larger as the weeks pass.  

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS, FACS

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Will my implants fluff out more at 4 weeks?

+1
Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure.  I believe that the phenomenon of “dropping and fluffing” is real; it occurs several weeks to several months after breast augmentation surgery.  The breasts appear larger as the implants "settle" lower on the chest wall. The nipple/areola complexes appear higher on the breast mounds as this occurs. Best wishes.