Do my Implants Extend Too Far off my Sides? (photo)

I am 2.5 months post op with 550cc mod+ plus Mentor silicone. My ps gave me exactly the size/profile I asked for. I am 5'4, 123 lbs. Love their general shape but feel they extend too much past my sides/ribcage and want them more contained on my chest. Do you agree with this assessment and can I go bigger in HP or UHP and not have them in my armpit?

Side boobs

+2

You have what patients refer to as side boobs. This is due primarily to your nipples being widely spaced and using a wide base diameter implant that has to be centered under your nipple.  If you switch to a higher projecting style at the same volume you will have less side boob.  If you do this but switch to a larger volume as well, you may defeat your purpose.  Your surgeon can review the dimensions for the implants with you.

Kahului Plastic Surgeon

Implant off to the side?

+1
Part of the difficulty in responding to your question is that the photo isn't directly head-on. When you are in the 550-600 cc size range, this type of result is not unexpected. There is a balancing act between using the high profile implants, which may create an artificial looking breast, and being attentive to the chest width as well as the patient's desire for a particular size.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast Augmentation, Implants, Location, Size

+1

Breast Implants are placed beneath the muscle and breast to achieve enlalrgement. The result you get depends on the location of your original breasts. For example, if a woman has breasts that are really off to the side or lateral, her breast implants have to be place in this location. Her new breasts will be off to the side. Otherwise, she will have 4 breasts!. 

Your original breasts were probably to the side a bit. So your implants are there now. 

High profile implants will help, but the difference will not be great. It will probably be less than a centimeter per side. It will help but not a lot. This assumes you don't go bigger. Larger implants, even HP, will make this even more noticeable.

Overall, your breasts look great. I think it is something you should expect as part of your result.

Christopher Saunders, MD
West Chester Plastic Surgeon

Implants too far to the sides?

+1

Without seeing you in person, and without a pre-operative exam it is not possible for me to say if your result could be improved upon. However it does look like your right implant is a little too far out to the side.  I think the left looks very good. I strongly discourage using ultra-high profile implants for augmentation. Best of luck.

Andrew Stewart, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Implant look

+1

The wider the implant, the more likely they will be hanging off the side of the chest. That is why HP's can help some individuals.

Do my Implants Extend Too Far off my Sides?

+1

Without seeing you in person and without your chest measurements it is hard to truley judge. But in my proffessional opinion, if you are narrow your implant projection usually  should be HP or UHP.

Michael A. Fiorillo, MD

Laterally displaced breast implants

+1

Dear Candigirl.  To answer your question, it would be helpful to know if your implants are under the pectoral muscles.  If they are, then it might not be possible to narrow your cleavage because you can't detach the entire origin of the muscles.  However, it appears that your left implant is closer to the center than the right which makes me think that if the right-side pocket was enlarged toward the midline, you would have a narrower gap as long as you chose wider implants for your revision.  Selecting  narrower diameter implants will NOT prevent the implants from sitting so laterally; they will only widen your cleavage gap.  The only way to keep the implants from drifting laterally is for your surgeon to place internal stitches to narrow the pockets on the sides to force the implants closer to the middle.  Hope this helps.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Ultrahigh profile implants have a smaller diameter

+1

higher the profile of an implant, the narrow is the base for the same volume.  So if you want to change you implants for a higher profile, keeping the volume same will mean a narrower implant, less protrusion past your sides.  So by going 'bigger' you mean keep the same volume but project more, then yes.  But if you want a bigger volume implant and higher profile, you may still end up with implants that extend past your sides and be unhappy with your results.  Review a catalog of implants to better understand the dimensions of implants you are considering.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Wide implants

+1

You get what you ask for.  If you use too wide of an implant it has not choice but to hang off of the side.  The  implants, especially a saline implant is not designed to hang off of the side of the chest.  Some women like this appearance other do not.  If you have questions then your surgeon is your resource for answers.