I had a double mastectomy in Jan 2012, with expanders. Is my Implant Bottoming Out? (photo)

I had a double mastectomy in Jan 2012, with expanders. I had the reconstruction surgery in March. I noticed months later around August that the left side was starting to drop below the crease line. It was about a half inch, and is now about an inch. My surgeon wants to fix it, and I eventually want to, but I am wondering what would happen if I waited another year to fix? What is the recovery time for this?

Bottoming out

+2

Yes, it does look like your implant bottomed out on the one side. Re-suspending the fold and reinforcing it with Alloderm may do the trick. Good luck.

You have great result for breast reconstruction

+2

You may need to have pocket revision to fix the implant displacement. You have great result post mastectomy and implant reconstruction.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Bottominging Out?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Yes, I do see some breast implant displacement inferiorly on your left side and think that additional surgery may be helpful in correcting this displacement.  This reconstruction will likely involve internal suture techniques (capsulorraphy). There should be no harm in waiting additional time if you so choose.

Symmetry in reconstruction

+1

is the goal whenever any reconstruction is done.  Since you're already lower on your left side, waiting should not hurt your chances to achieve symmetry with a revision in the future.  Your doctor can help guide you through this process but you're looking at either employing some acellular dermal matrx or capsulorrhaphy.  Regardless, you will need something done if you wish to have symmetry and that is something that is mandated by the State of California.

Curtis Wong, MD