My Implant All of a Sudden Feels Hard After 6yrs... Why?

I got my implants done about 6yrs ago and I woke up the other day & noticed that my right implant felt different. It's kind of hard like when you first get them done. My left implant feels soft like a normal breast should but now my right implant is hard. Could I get hardening of the capsule 6yrs later or could it be something else? I didn't hit it or anything I just woke up with it that way?

Implant assymetry at 6 years

+1

Thanks for your question.  It sounds like you are starting to have a contracture.  I late contracture is typically due to some change in the implant.  If these are silicone (gel) implants this could be a sign of a silicone rupture.  You should consult a local board certified plastic surgeon and have them make sure this is not the case.  Hope this helps.

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture?

+1

It sounds like you may be experiencing a capsular contracture.  It is important to go for an exam to get a proper evaluation.  Good luck.

Hardness 6 years after augmentation

+1

Your description is consistent with a capsular contracture.  Return to your plastic surgeon for evaluation. You may be referred for a sonogram as well.  Best of luck.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Sudden hard feeling to implant after 6 years

+1

It does sound like a possible capsular contracture. I would suggest that you see a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options. For some patients the syptoms will not continue to get worse, and for others, it continues and eventually becomes painful, deformed and at times can rupture the implant from the pressure. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Hardening 6 years after breast augmentation

+1

Your description sounds like the development of capsular contracture to one breast.  This can happen early after breast augmentation or can happen at a later time as in your case.  The best course of action would be to speak with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Capsular contracture

+1

You may be experiencing formation of scar tissue around your implant.  This is a condition called capsular contracture.  Please see a board certified PS for a formal evaluation.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Breast Feels Hard 6 Years after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Your description is consistent with encapsulation of the involved  breast implant. I would suggest that you follow-up with your plastic surgeon for precise advice/treatment recommendations.

Hardening breast implant

+1

Certainly sounds like a capsular contracture may be occurring but only an in person exam with your PS or another will tell.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS