Will Having my Impacted Canine Tooth Removed After Invisalign Ruin my Results? (photo)

I am 24. I still have a baby canine tooth, that looks very awkward with my smile, which I want to remove. My dentist told me the adult tooth was in the front of my gums, but not exposed. I intend to have my teeth straightened with invisalign, but would it be pointless to do if having my adult canine pulled down eventually could possibly ruin the results. Also, I have slight buck teeth. Is it even worth the trouble or should I just consider veneers?

Only 24 an have an impacted cuspid

+3

You need to go see an ADA recognized orthodontic specialist for an opinion and even get a second opinion from another orthodontic specialist if you want to.  I am an orthodontist and I would really like to see you find someone who can bring that unerupted cuspid down into its proper position where it should be.  The best thing for you is NOT to lose that tooth if at all possible.  It looks like you have very nice teeth and you really need to get that unerupted cuspid brought into position and along the way take care of the little bit of "buck teeth" at the same time.  You need a fully integrated plan that will get that tooth down where it belongs and take care of all of the other stuff at the same time.  Do not go at this piece meal and Invisalign is probably not the best choice for bringing in impacted teeth.  If you want something more cosmetic than regular braces get clear brackets on the front.  You are only 24 years old, you can have a virtually perfect set of teeth for the rest of your life, don't mess it up by losing a really important tooth like the cuspid.  Veneers don't sound like a good answer for this.

Phoenix Orthodontist

Impacted canine and invisalign

+1

Although invisalign is a great way to move teeth without actually wearing brackets ignoring the canine would be more of a challenge later on.  The canine should be exposed and pull into position.  Once it is somewhat where it needs to be you can always opt for invisalign or just remain on the brackets the entire treatment.  I definitely  would not remove the canine

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Ipacted permanent canine options.

+1

Great answers!  Don't pull a permenant tooth until you have all the options explained even if you have to go to two  orthodontists.  Invisalign is wonderful, but pulling the cuspid into place will result in better results in most cases and this may necessitate a more traditional orthodontic technique, but the cosmetics will be better in the long run.  It may be possible to do a combined technique but definitely take care of the cuspid before the invisalign procedures.

Mesa Cosmetic Dentist

Combine moving the canine with the treatment

+1

Rather than ignoring the canine and doing Invisalign, you should consider bringing the canine into its proper location.  This likely would require a more traditional approach (expose the tooth, use elastics to bring into alignment) then a normal Invisalign case.

Web reference: http://www.bestseattledentist.com/

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Move Canine First

+1

I just did a case like this last month.  I uncovered the canine with a laser and attached a button to it.  I added a few brackets to the lower teeth and am having the patient wear a rubber band until it moves enough for Invisalign aligners to engage it.  After that it is straightforward Invisalign.

Houston Cosmetic Dentist