My Husband Has Double Vision After Eyelid Surgery Cornea Shape Has Changed Can This Be Corrected?

Ptosis Surgery or Upper Blepharoplasty? Lower Blepharoplasty as Well?

+1

Ptosis surgery maybe - refraction change can be corrected with new prescription.  Upper eyelid and lower eyelid surgery - the double vision could be caused by damage to the 1) inferior oblique 2) inferior rectus 3) superior oblique.  Extremely rare for this to happen or to be permanent.

Double vision after eyelid surgery

+1

I have seen mild double vision in the early period ( a few weeks), and I believe it is due to corneal swelling with a resulting change in cornea shape.  If the double vision is severe, or much worse in looking superiorly, then injury or trauma to one of the eyelid muscles as mentioned in the other answer is possible. In any case conservative approach is indicated for several weeks. If it persists, consultation with an opthalmologist also indicated.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

What type of eyelid surgery?

+1

Its important to know what type of eyelid surgery was performed. If upper eyelid ptosis repair was performed, a subtle change to the cornea can occur when the upper eyelid position changes. This is normal. Once this has stabilized  after a few weeks, you can obtain a new prescription for glasses.

If he had lower eyelid surgery, corneal change does not occur. However, as mentioned by Dr. Prendiville, one of the eye movement muscles [inferior oblique], might have become traumatized or swollen during surgery. This will lead to true double vision:  you would see two of everything [when there is only one]. This usually resolves, but you do need an evaluation by an ophthalmologist if the double vision lasts more than a day or two.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Double Vision After Eyelid Surgery?

+1

Although the cornea can theoretically be scratched or abraded during eyelid surgery, changing of corneal shape and double vision are not consequences of this problem.  A corneal abrasion is extremely painful until it heals; the problem is usually self resolving in 12-24 hours. Double vision can result from injury to one of the extra-ocular muscles, most notably the inferior oblique in lower eyelid surgery.  However, this is a rare complication and is usually self limiting.  I recommend that you see an Ophthalmologist as soon as possible.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon