My Husband Has Double Vision After Eyelid Surgery Cornea Shape Has Changed Can This Be Corrected?

Ptosis Surgery or Upper Blepharoplasty? Lower Blepharoplasty as Well?

+1

Ptosis surgery maybe - refraction change can be corrected with new prescription.  Upper eyelid and lower eyelid surgery - the double vision could be caused by damage to the 1) inferior oblique 2) inferior rectus 3) superior oblique.  Extremely rare for this to happen or to be permanent.

Double vision after eyelid surgery

+1

I have seen mild double vision in the early period ( a few weeks), and I believe it is due to corneal swelling with a resulting change in cornea shape.  If the double vision is severe, or much worse in looking superiorly, then injury or trauma to one of the eyelid muscles as mentioned in the other answer is possible. In any case conservative approach is indicated for several weeks. If it persists, consultation with an opthalmologist also indicated.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

Double Vision After Eyelid Surgery?

+1

Although the cornea can theoretically be scratched or abraded during eyelid surgery, changing of corneal shape and double vision are not consequences of this problem.  A corneal abrasion is extremely painful until it heals; the problem is usually self resolving in 12-24 hours. Double vision can result from injury to one of the extra-ocular muscles, most notably the inferior oblique in lower eyelid surgery.  However, this is a rare complication and is usually self limiting.  I recommend that you see an Ophthalmologist as soon as possible.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon