My Husband Has Developed a TMJ Problem Since Starting Invisalign About 3 Months Ago, Should he Discontinue?

He cannot open his mouth very wide. It seems like his jaw is not allowing his mouth to open completely, but he does not have any pain or clicking noises, etc. His dr. contacted Invisalign and they were unable to comment or give any recommendations. So, he's now on a prescription muscle relaxer of some sort, warm compresses on his jaw and soft diet. Has been instructed to use the Invisalign trays at night only. None of this has helped at all. We are both very concerned at this point.

Invisalign Can Cause Latent TMD to Flare Up

+1

Not being able to open your mouth entirely is what is called a "closed lock." This occurs with the cartilage disc in your TMJ is stuck in front of your condyle (the part of your mandible that makes up the joint).

This can happen for a number of different reasons, but underlying TMD (temporomandibular disorders) can sometimes flare up during orthodontic treatment and Invisalign.

Although the best course of action is decided after a comprehensive exam (which I can't do), my advice is that you try an Aqualizer because that appliance can be very helpful for resolving acute closed locks

Allentown Orthodontist

Have your husband wear each set of aligners 3 weeks

+1

Your husband's dentist could take new record and have them slow movement so that he wears each set 3 weeks, but I have just had patients wear their existing aligners 3 weeks each until the discomfort subsided and although it doesn't happen often, that idea has always worked. It is usually in the beginning of treatment when this happens.

Dr. Sue Wendling

Sue Wendling, DMD
Portland Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign can precipitate hidden TMJ disorder

+1

I have treated many patients with invisalign and I'm also very experienced in treating TMD.  Based on my experiences, I have never had a TMD case that was actually caused by invisalign but I have seen patients with signs of TMD develop symptoms after starting invislign treatment.  Your husband should find a dentist experienced in treating TMJ problems right away before discontinuing his invisalign treatment.

Michael Firouzian, DDS
Columbus Cosmetic Dentist

TMJ symptoms CAN be exacerbated by orthodontics

+1

It sounds to me like your husband was on the verge of developing TMJ symptoms and the change of his bite due to the aligners and the tooth movement threw him "over the edge". He should see a dentist that is well-educated and trained in TMJ and follow his advice.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist