My husband has Blepharoplasty surgery (upper & lower) seven days ago. When will the swelling ease?

He is very swollen in the corner of each of his eyes along with the swelling on his eyelids. I know the eyelid swelling is normal but what about the swelling in the corner of each of his eyes (at his nose)?

Swelling after blepharoplasty

+1
  • The inner eyelid can swell dramatically because the skin here is very thin
  • It will improve with time and when the sutures are removed - if they are not out already.
  • Keeping the head up, warm compresses and avoiding reading and computer work all help.
  • This should be slowly improving. If getting worse, contact his surgeon. Best wishes.

Swelling after eyelid surgery

+1
Edema (swelling) after upper and lower blepharoplasty 7 days out is completely normal.  By the end of 3 weeks the majority of eyelid swelling is visually gone but edema lasts for months after on operation.  Always check with your surgeon to make sure there are no issues and if his vision is fine then most likely it is just edema.  At 1 week I would recommend warm compresses for 15 minutes twice a day to help reduce swelling as well as keeping his head elevated when asleep.  Also, use lots of artificial tears to keep the eyes lubricated as it is not uncommon to have dry eyes following blepharoplasty for several weeks.

Jeffrey LaGrasso, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Swelling post bleph

+1
I agree, it does take some time for the swelling to go down; however, I would let your surgeon know about it and make sure there aren't any visual changes.

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

My husband has Blepharoplasty surgery (upper & lower) seven days ago. When will the swelling ease

+1
Every patient is different and having both the upper as well as the lower done at the same time can lead to increase swelling for an extended period of time.  the amount of swelling also depends on the exact procedure performed.  There are many procedures done to correct lower eyes.  Best to discuss all concerns with your surgeon.   Best to you and your husband.

Constance M. Barone, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon