My Husband Had a Black Mark Removed from His Face and the Doctor Stated It Had Not Got to Fatty Tissue What Does He Mean?

Moles Often Stay In The Top Layers Of The SKin

+2

There are 3 basic layers to the skin: the top epidermis layer, the middle dermis layer, and the bottom fatty layer. No matter how fat or skinny we are, all of us have this fatty layer under the skin. Moles and skin cancers often grow from the top down. Melanoma skin cancers, which often appears as black marks on the skin, are measured to see how deep they extend from the top layer of the skin. When removing skin lesions, dermatologists will often comment on how much tissue is removed, or how deep the lesion goes. It seems the lesion on your husbands face did not extend all the way down to the fatty layer, and stayed in the more superficial epidermis and dermis.

Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Significance of a black mole

+1

The biopsy report of the "black mark" on your husband's face is the key to the next step in the appropriate treatment of this mole. If it is a skin cancer such as a melanoma or a "precancerous" atypical mole, in our office we will do an excision with suture closure to get clear margins. The exact diagnosis is much more important than the statement that  "it has not gotten to fatty tissue".

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon