3 Days Post Op, Is It Normal To Not See Hair In Some Of The Red Spots?

i did a hair transplant 3 days ago, and i i have a question about the planted area which is the frontal area of my head, some of the red spots of the planted hair dosent show a part of the hair which i suppose must appear at the surface of the head like unshaved face , is it normal to have this? coz some dots shows that there is hair and some are like just scars without the hair.is it coz they cut my hair very short that some hairs are not visible?or is it possible these hairs are dead??

3 Days After Hair Transplant

+1

This can mean one of three things:

• The hair is trapped under the skin and may form a lesion, like acne. This is normal and there is nothing to worry about unless it occurs in great excess.
  • Another possibility is that the transplanted hair is starting to shed, as it has gone into the telogen (resting) phase before it will grow a new healthy hair. This is also completely normal.
  • The third possibility is that a few of the transplanted grafts were compromised during the procedure and did not survive. This, too, is nothing to worry about.

In any case, you should have enough surviving grafts that the end result will be a vast improvement from before. You can expect to see new growth at around 4 months.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Not Seeing Hair in Some Grafts 3 Days after Hair Transplants

+1

There are two reasons for not seeing all hairs in all grafts 3 days after surgery. Hair frequently falls out of the grafts after transplantation before permanent growth begins. Hair may actually be present within the skin. Technically the surgeon is transplanting hair follicles, not hairs.

Top Reasons Why You Can't See The Grafts (OR...What Should I Do NOW?))

+1
  • The Grafts may be buried under the skin
  • Ultrafine, single hair grafts may not be visible to naked eye
  • The Hair Shaft may have been shaved very close to the Dermis of the graft
  • The Doctors or Technicians completely missed placing a graft in the Sites/Openings.

When I'm placing grafts and when I'm checking the work of my technicians, If I can't see a hair in every opening, then I'm going to check to see if it's buried or otherwise invisible.  If there isn't a graft, then we'll place one ( and of course I'm using Microscopic Loupes)

But if you are noticing this on day three, then there isn't  really anything that you can do about it.

Yes, this can be unsettling, but try not to worry, because it may not effect your overall results.  And if it does, most transplant surgeons will replace the grafts for you ( We Do!)

John E. Frank, MD

It is normal

+1

After hair transplantation, the hair grafts that were placed will grow and shed.  Usually, all of the hairs will disappear by about two weeks.  The follicles that were transplanted go into a resting phase that lasts about four months before you start to see hair growth.  It can also be that the hair is below the surface of the skin which may be a little swollen.  I hope this helps.

Danielle DeLuca-Pytell, MD