What Can I Do About my Hollow-set Under Eyes and Wrinkles at 24? (photo)

I am only 24 and look tired, old and permanently worried or sad! I have hollow-set under eyes. I believe it is my bone structure, but I wish to fix it. It has created a space for very thin skin under my eyes. Also, I have wrinkles! Are there ways to fix it that don't include going under the knife at 24? Better yet, can I do something that doesn't require fillers? I don't want to take the risk and end up looking worse!

Tear Trough depression

+1

Filling tear trough depression with Restylane is a great option, but make sure to go to a very experienced physician. It is an area that can bruise easily, as well, even with the most skilled injector. I would plan your injection at least two weeks before any special social engagements. If you are in the LA area, I or any of my colleagues would be more than happy to see you. Best of luck!

What Can I Do About my Hollow-set Under Eyes and Wrinkles at 24?

+1

Filler to the tear troughs offers a very good treatment for you.  I would use Restylane for that area instead of Juvederm.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Filler for under the eyes

+1

In general, filler is a great treatment for hollows under the eyes. I prefer to use Restylane in this area, as it yields a fantastic result when the injections are performed properly. This is a difficult area to treat, and I would recommend seeking the advice of a board certified specialist in your area. A plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or dermatologist are all great choices. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Restylane under the eye for hollowing works very well

+1

Although at 24 you don't expect to see under eye hollows, it's far more common than most people realize.

The reasons vary:

• Lack of rest
  • Dehydration from climate or too much caffeine or soda
  • Volume deficit (genetic or age-related)

If you get enough rest and stay well hydrated, then the problem is volume deficency from a lack of support fat.

Restylane has become an instant "hollow-fixer" and with the use of smooth tipped cannulas, the filler placement is surprisingly pain free. Generally most patients only need a single syringe for correcting both eye hollows.

You are urged to seek out an experienced physician as this procedure requires very specific placement to be effective and safe.

Wrinkles under the eye are often smoothed with the new support of the filler. And good eye creams with peptides and UV protection help both soften wrinkles and prevent.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Great candidate for filler injection under eyes

+1

You can do great with filler injections. The fillers can last relatively long time around the eyes, as opposed to the rest of the face.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Under eye hollows

+1

Restylane or Belotero are the best option for under eye hollows. If performed properly by an experienced injector, it is a safe procedure. Results can last for 1-2 years. If you are displeased, it can always be erased with hyaluronidase. 

Ramona Behshad, MD
Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Hollow Lower Eyelids

+1

Hollow lower eyelids on a 24-year-old who is otherwise in good health is a skeletal shape issue.  A 24-year-old should not have soft tissue loss in the face unless they are an extreme athlete or are extremely under weight.  Soft tissue fillers (anything you inject) are not the solution.  The solution is a tear-trough implant.  Essentially these create a rounder fuller skeleton in your lower eyelid area blending your cheek curve into your eyelids and continuing that smooth contour up towards your eyelashes.  This is an effective treatment for this problem and should last you your entire life.  It is predictable, reversible, and involves no scars.

Now, regarding the wrinkles when you smile.  These are un-avoidable.  This is not a volume issue and fillers will not fix them.  When you smile, your cheek rises.  There is less space for the skin and the skin has no where to go so it rolls up on itself.  The more elastic or "spandex" like your skin is, the less of these you will have.  Think of bending over with a one-piece swimsuit on that is made of high end spandex versus one that is made of a lesser quality material.  The wrinkles in the fabric over your belly will depend on the quality of the material.  A large bulging belly may help the wrinkles to some extent, but it is certainly not the look you probably want.  There is no treatment to make your skin more elastic.  Elastin is not replaceable.  Do not confuse this with collagen, collagen does improve your skin quality, is replaceable to some extent, but it does very little to make your skin more "springy".  Fillers in the lower eyelids will make your lower eyelids puffy when you smile and may turn several smaller rolls of skin into a single big puffy roll, but I think most people would agree that this is not an improvement.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hollows Under Eyes

+1

The inherited hollow contour at your lower lid margin can be augmented with fillers such as Restylane or be improved with fat grafts. The wrinkles will dissipate with the added volume. 

For the hollows under you eyes, Restylane or Belotero with Blunt Cannulas will help

+1

You have soft tissue loss around the eyes.  The upper cheek and tear trough need to be filled to give you a more youthful appearance.  IMO, this is best done using blunt cannulas because of the reduced risks or bruising and vascular injury.  Top choice for this area is Restylane, otherwise use Belotero.  This is a quick procedure and there can be some minimal swelling over the next couple days.  See the video.

Steven F. Weiner, MD