What Can I Do About my Hairy Face? (photo)

Its all over my face (forehead, cheeks, neck etc). In real life its quite visible as some people have pointed out. I did a stupid mistake a few ears ago of shaving my entire face. What affordable treatment should I undergo to get rid of these facial hairs permanently? Is laser a good idea?

Facial Hair

+3

Do others in your family have facial hair like this? I suggest that you have a hormonal work-up especially if you have irregular menses, acne or hair around your nipples or below your navel. Otherwise, laser is the best option. Be aware that maintenance treatments will be necessary. Consider also treatment with spironolactone.

Hope this helps.

Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Multiple Treatments with Longer Wavelength Lasers Could Lessen Fine Dark Hair

+2
The fact that you shaved your face several years ago may have left you with the kind of hair growth that we see in the picture – fine dark hair on somewhat of a darker skin tone. So if this is somewhat correct, you should find a board-certified dermatologist who knows about removing hair in all skin types and how to deal with finer hairs, always a little more difficult to remove.

Longer wavelength lasers at appropriate energies and multiple treatments may be required to make this an effective treatment – and keeping a positive attitude to get the best you can get from the procedures.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Best Laser Hair Removal Option For Face

+2
A wide variety of medical lasers and light systems are used to remove unwanted hair, however most lasers are not effective for all skin types and hair colors. The Elos laser hair removal system is designed for permanent hair reduction by combining both optical and radiofrequency energy to deliver satisfying, longer lasting results with less discomfort than previous laser systems. Faces, backs, arms, legs, faces, and bikini lines can be treated including those individuals with darkly pigmented skin. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Treatments for fine hair on the face

+2

Laser hair removal may work for this, however, there are a few considerations here:

• fine hair responds to laser more poorly than coarse dark hair
  • if the hair has a substantial amount of red, blond or gray in it, it will most likely not respond at all.
  • it is very important to have the procedure done with the proper laser by a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with training and experience in laser hair removal.  Improper (too low) settings on the laser may actually induce more hair growth.  When the settings are too high, they may cause discolorations and burns.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Options for treatment of a hairy face

+2

Removing unwanted body hair is an increasingly prevalent trend in our society. Methods for removing unwanted hair include laser hair removal, bleaching, plucking, shaving, waxing, and chemical depilatories. Other than laser hair removal, none of these methods provide a permanent solution to unwanted hair. Selectively targeting hair follicles with lasers has revolutionized the ability to permanently eliminate unwanted hair. As laser technology advances, we are able to treat individuals of most skin types and hair colors. It is hard to tell from your photo, but light skin and dark hair are the best combination for optimal results. BTW, it is a common misconception that shaving changes the way the new hair grows so you do not need to feel guilty about having shaved before.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon