Is my Hair Transplant Ruined? Some Grafts Disappeard After 6-7 Days?

HI, I've noticed that some of the hair grafts have disappeared just one week after my hair transplant. Is this normal. I'm worried now that the procedure hasn't work or that I've done something wrong. People say that's what planted there for first 48 hours are paramount. I can see the hairless skin now and it looks like nothing is there. What's planted there surely after 5 days bulb etc, must be quiet strong by then? Thanks,

Disppearing Hair Transplant

The transplanted hair will have scabs that will disappear.  The hair itself will fall out but the root will still be present and hair will regrow over 6-9 months. All should be fine.

Dr. ES

New hair

The follicles integrate rather quickly.  Then, the hairs will fall out with scabs from a few days to a couple weeks.  It may be a year of more before the hairs regrow.  Hang in there!  Check in with your doc if you still have concerns.

Tim Neavin, MD

Disappearing grafts does not mean your hair transplant is ruined.

Disappearing grafts does not mean your hair transplant is ruined.  You must understand that even in the most ideal circumstances you will lose a few grafts.  Even if you don't lose any grafts, not all the transplanted grafts will grow out.  Nothing is 100% except as they say death and taxes.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Transplanted hairs may fall out after a week, but then will regrow

It can be concerning for the patient, but it is normal for some of the transplanted hairs to fall out about a week after surgery.  The follicle remains intact, but goes into a dormant stage.  This lasts about 3-4 months then you should start to see the new hair growing. 

Angela Sturm, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Loss of Grafts After Hair Transplant

It is normal for the scabs to flake off at 7 days post-surgery. And with them, the transplanted hair may also come off. However, the follicles should have taken root by this point and will begin to grow in about 4 months.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair grafts disappear after one week after surgery.

You say that your "grafts" have disappeared. The graft should not disappear, but the hair within the follicle usually does fall out after a week or so following hair transplantation. I'm surprised your surgeon didn't tell you that.

Generally the hair falls out and the follicle goes into a dorment stage until the 3-4 month, then you can feel and see some of the hairs starting to grow. About 50% will grow by six months and about 95% in a year. Maximum density will be at about 18 months. But at 6 months you should be seeing an increase in hair density, and at 9 months it should start looking very good. Still, it gets better with more time.

Be patient. It will be worth the wait.

Hair transplant success

The natural and expected shedding of hair after a transplant can be anxiety producing, as what looked initially like success can appear to now be failure. Usually after three or four days if the follicule has taken it should do fine even if it now sheds its hair. A new hair should soon emerge but the proccess may take a few weeks. If the follicules did not take well for whatever reason than there will be no hair growth or thin hair growth and you will know soon enough.

Yes, it is normal for a small percentage of the hair transplants to go quiet after they are transplanted.  These will start to grow in one of the subsequent hair growth cycles within the next year.  If you have any specific questions, it's best to discuss these with your hair transplant surgeon.

Lost and Found (After Transplant)

You're not the first person who has wondered about lost follicles at this juncture...myself included!  But it its true that after 72 hours, the follicles are situated well and it would take a lot to remove them. The shafts of hair and possible scabby litttle casts that may come out at this point are usually not the important, germ cells needed to sprout new hair, so you should really be OK.

Good luck,  I hope that helps.

Dr John Frank, MD

John E. Frank, MD
New York Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant recovery

it can be normal. often the graft shafts fall after a few days but the bulbs remain implanted in the skin.  if you are concerned its always a good idea to call the hair transplant doctor as well.

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist