Can my "gynecomastia" be fixed with exercise? (Photo)

Hello,thank you for your attention! I'm post weight loss down to 190(lb) from approx. ~310. My determined nature had pushed me into a track where I focused all my attention on cardio as opposed to weight training, as a result, my chest has this appearance. I plan on starting a fairly rigorous muscle building routine this week, from which I expect to build plentiful amounts of muscle, and am wondering if I can fix my enlarged and lax breasts with this regimen as opposed to surgical intervention.

Gynecomastia surgery

+1
Congratulations on your weight loss. Building muscle is a very healthy thing to do following weight loss. Muscles will not eliminate excess skin, but it could help you look and feel even better.

To correct the excess skin, a surgical procedure to removal  excess skin is required. A consultation with a plastic surgeon could help to determine exactly what the surgical plan could be to provide you with the results that would provide the best results for you.

Look for a plastic surgeon who has performed many, many gynecomastia procedures who can demonstrate with photographs results that you would hope to achieve.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

+1
you need surgery, anything else will be a waste of your time, money and energy. the surgery will give you the best result

Joseph A. Russo, MD
Newton Plastic Surgeon

No

+1
Only a skin excision combined with aggressive lipo will help you. No amount of exercise will get rid of skin.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Gynecomastia

+1
Dear Anthony965,

Congratulations on your significant weight loss! Unfortunately, as the other surgeons have said, the skin laxity can only be repaired with surgery.  You should consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience with gynecomastia repair. Best of luck!

Richard A. Bartlett, MD
Brookline Plastic Surgeon

Can my "gynecomastia" be fixed with exercise?

+1
Sorry no, only aggressive excisional surgery can improve your appearance. Seek IN PERSON opinions only... 

Will exercise improve gynecomastia?

+1
Sorry but with this degree of skin and breast tissue, the only viable treatment for you would be surgery.  This will require a circumareolar approach to correct the problem.  Muscular development may actually leave you with the appearance of larger breasts.  I would recommend that you undergo surgery first and then build your musculature.  Congratulations on that weight loss!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Gynecomastia gone with exercise?

+1
Hello and thank you for your question.
Congratulation on the weight loss. Like many people that have lost a significant amount of weight, you are left with excess skin that has lost it's elasticity. Unfortunately the only way to get rid of that is with surgery. Exercise will not do it. I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to get more specific answers to your questions which can best be addressed after a thorough history and examination is performed.
Best of luck to you!

David Cangello, MD

Gynecomastia

+1
Congratulations on your success! But unfortunately weight training will not treat the sagging skin. To improve that you will need skin excision.

Gynecomastia

+1
Congratulations of the weight loss. Unfortunately the skin is too excessive for it to resolve with exercise. The surgery to remove the excess skin and gyencomastia is approximately two hours of outpatient surgery. The total cost is $6000 which includes the board certified professional fee, board certified anesthesia fee, and Medicare approved surgicenter fee. Hope this helps!

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Can my gynecomastia be fixed with exercise?

+1
First congratulations on your weight loss, that is a huge accomplishment. Unfortunately, based only on pictures, your best course of treatment would be surgical excision of the excess glandular tissue in conjunction with liposuction to smooth out the area. The additional skin would also need to be addressed and some form of lifting technique utilized (which would be determined upon physical examination). I always discuss with my patients that although the breast will be aesthetically improved, the caveat is there will be a visible scar. Most patient's do not have a problem with scarring and therefore this is not an issue. My best advice would be to set up a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes with weight loss patients as well as gynecomastia. I hope this information helps you and good luck!

Fadi Chahin MD, FACS
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Diplomat-American Board of Surgery
Diplomat-American Board of Plastic Surgery

Fadi Chahin, MD, FACS