27 Female, Using Mildest Retin-A, Started Peeling, Have Deep Wrinkles Now?

I'm 27 female & I've been using the mildest strength Retin-a for the 8 weeks 3 times a week. I apply it across my entire face at night & wear broad spectrum sun block during the day. I started peeling again about 5 days ago & I now have DEEP HIDIOUS wrinkles that start from under my eyes & stretch right out to my cheeks. I never had them until now & I truly look as though I've aged 40+ years in just 5 days. I'm not exaggerating I look like an old lady. Please help me need advise ASAP thank you x

Too much of a good thing

+3

Most patients who are over 40 will tolerate the daily use of Vitamin A type products.  In younger patients the strength of your product may be too high and may be causing irritation and swelling.  Most likely your wrinkle is due to tissue edema and will resolve by slowing down on the using the Retin-A.   In the meantime the use of a 1% hydorcortisone cream may help settle everything down.  

Dryness from Retin A

+2

This is common. Here are some pointers:

• Retin A should not be applied to dry, irritated skin
  • One should apply only a tiny amount of Retin A--a pea-sized amount would cover the entire face
  • Some will need to use a light, non-comedogenic moisturizer

The good news is that everything usually returns to normal.

Robert S. Bader, M.D.

Robert S. Bader, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon