Should I Be at my Goal Weight Before Having a Tummy Tuck?

Best weight before tummy tuck?

+2

It the weight you can easily maintain with your normal day to day routines... if you are having to exercise 4 hours a day or consume only 1200 calories a day, it is an impossible lifestyle to sustain.  Find a routine you can maintain and accept whatever stable weight that leaves you at... and that is the time you could consider having your body contouring procedure.  Good luck!

+2

A little more info (height, weight, photo) would get a better answer. If you are talking 10 pounds, it probably makes little or no difference. If you are talking 75 pounds, it does make a difference. The procedure carries a higher degree of risk on patients who are overweight. If such a patient goes on to lose that much weight after surgery, there may be a lot of excess skin and sometimes a second TT might be needed for best outcome. 

But there really are no absolutes here, so an evaluation by a plastic surgeon can help resolve this question as it applies to you. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Weight loss

+2

In the ideal world you should be at the ideal weight prior to having the tummy tuck. This may not be a reality or achievable with many patients and I have found many patients able to lose even more weight after the tummy tuck

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Weight and tt

+2

i like the pragamtic answers all of the surgeons have provided.  i would just add that the answers depends to some degree on how overwheight you are.  if you are obese you may not qualify for an abdominoplasty anyhow and may be looking more at a a panniculectomy.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD
San Angelo Plastic Surgeon

Ideal Weight Not Necessary

+2

Obviously any Plastic Surgeon trained during the past fifty years will tell you that you should be at your ideal weight before any plastic surgery.  In the REAL WORLD patients often can't get where they want to be and get discouraged.  By doing a tummy tuck even if you aren't at your ideal weight yet, you will have a jump start and begin feeling better about your body, motivated to exercise and eat better and overall improve the quality of your life!!!

Eric Sadeh, MD

Tummy tuck and ideal weight

+2

Altlhough it is optimal to be at your ideal weight before undergoing abdominoplasty or tummy tuck, it is more realistic to be at a weight that you can maintain over time. I have found that you can lose 30 pounds after an abdominoplasty and not have loose skin in many patients.   So in general I suggest that if you are within 30 pounds of the weight you can mantain, it is reasonable to undergo tummy tuck regardless of your weight.  Most of us have an ideal weight that we aspire to, and a higher weight that we can realistically maintain.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

Goal Weight Before Tummy Tuck

+1

I recommend that my patients reach their ideal weight prior to surgery to maximize their results. During your consultation, your surgeon will consider your height and weight along with your complete medical history to determine if you are a good surgical candidate. Good Luck!

Morgan E. Norris, MD, FACS

Goal Weight Prior to Tummy Tuck

+1

A goal weight would be preferred, but a stable, maintainable, healthy weight would suffice prior to having tummy tuck.

Tummy Tuck Near Ideal Body Weight

+1

For the best cosmetic results, I like for my patients to be near 10% of their ideal body weight before undergoing a tummy tuck. However, I also realize this is not possible in all individuals.  Many times weight loss has stagnated making it very difficult to be in that "ideal range". I have seen tummy tuck and liposuction be used as a catalyst for further weight reduction after the surgery. Because an individual looks and feels better, he or she is encoraged to keep the weight off and actually lose more weight. Occassionally, after this additional weight loss, other smaller procedures are possible to enhance the aesthetic results. Good Luck.

Michael Burgdorf, MD

Goal Weight and Tummy Tuck

+1

Generally speaking, it is best to attempt to approach your ideal goal weight before embarking on body contouring surgery such as a tummy tuck.  However, there may be a difference between your goal weight and an "ideal" weight that some doctor or nutritionist might suggest for you.  It is true that losing a lot of weight after a tummy tuck might result in some loosening of skin, which would detract from the surgical result.  And having a tummy tuck while still significantly overweight will  require more extensive surgery and may also detract from the result.  So I encourage my patients to lose as much weight as they can comfortably do without really struggling and try to reach a weight that they can maintain comfortably going forward.  Losing a lot of weight only to rebound up after the surgery is not good either.  You will be happiest with your surgical result if you lose some weight first (even if it isn't all that you might want) and can maintain that weight with a healthy lifestyle after surgery.

Richard G. Schwartz, MD