What Do I Say To My Friends Whose PS is Not Board Certified? I Think She's Making a Mistake.

This is a bad thing right? She is very Happy that her surgery is the cheapest in town, but I'm sure thats the reason. She doesn't think that it matters that he is not board certified. Im really scared that she will be unhappy with the results. I've tried to convince her to go to my PS he is $1000 more than hers but I told her you get what you pay for. Am I right? What are the reasons she should not do this?

Board certification in plastic surgery

+1

If think it is very wise of you to speak with your friend. She should not be penny wise and dollar foolish.  She should go to a board certified plastic surgeon.

Board Certification

+1

Board certificaton by the American Board of Plastic Surgery is the most important thing to look for when considering plastic surgery. You should explain to her what this means - the physician has completed a rigorous  and extensive training program in the field of plastic surgery and has demonstrated the knowledge, technical proficiency, and high ethical standards required of the board. Be aware that some physicians claim to be "board certified" is specialties such as cosmetic surgery or breast surgery when in reality these are not true ABMS recognized boards.

Daniel H. Shell IV, MD

Board Certification

+1

You are correct.  Your friend should see a plastic surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons.  There is no law against any doctor claiming they are a "cosmetic surgeon," so it can be very confusing for the public.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Plastic surgeons vs Cosmetic surgeons

+1

The law does not protect you in this regard even though it should.  It allows anybody who wants to hang a shingle and call themselves a plastic surgeon to do so.  You should ask your friend to find out very specifically the training this other doctor has had and compare it to your doctor's education.  Then remind her that "you get what you pay for" in life most all the time and that to correct a bad job on the first surgery will more than double her costs.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS